CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Decided to go with 245/50R17s

STS Scott

After humming and hawwing for who knows how long, I have finally decided on a tire for my 17's from the CTS. I am going to go with Michelin's Pilot Sport A/S, with the 245/50R17 size.

Willie Hank, you were the one who recommended this size to me a while ago, and in your post, you mentioned I should "balance the offset, or take it to the outside".

What exactly does this mean? Did you install spacers on your STS?

Thanks!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I'll give it another try...

does anyone have any insight?

thanks!

Scott

I have those exact same tires on my 98 STS. It's much wider than your stock 225/60/16. Michelin Pilots are the best. You car will handle like a Corvette!!

It doesn't rub at all for me but it may for you when doing a full lock turn. You don't need spacers.

Willie Hank, you were the one who recommended this size to me a while ago, and in your post, you mentioned I should "balance the offset, or take it to the outside".

What exactly does this mean? Did you install spacers on your STS?

If you are sticking with the same wheel, the issue of offset is moot. I was only suggesting you stick with the same offset if you are buying new rims, so as to throw half of the increased width to both sides, or decrease your positive offset slightly to throw the increased width to the outside, to mitigate tire scrubbing in the wheel well. Check out the link below for more discussion. I believe the OEM offset on a '93 STS is 45mm positive, so when I went to buy my Concept Neeper wheels, I spec'ed a 39mm offset (offset choices are limited), which helped to minimize increasing the width to the inside. The math is, ((245mm-225mm)/2)) - (45mm-39mm), that is, I actually only gained 4mm to the inside.

Make sure your OEM rim width is adequate for P245's, you need at least a 7.5" wide rim for proper mounting.

By the way, .... I would never use wheel spacers...., for many reasons, mainly strength.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm

Thanks for the responses guys!

Well, the stock 16 inch wheel (which has been on the car for the past 9 years) is a 7 inch wide rim. The new 17 inch wheels from the CTS are a 7.5 inch rim. Therefore I should be safe with the mounting of the 245's. Michelin actually lists the tires to be mounted on a minimum of a 7 inch wide rim, so it is nice to know I am above that somewhat (if only by a half-inch).

Once again, thank you, I feel more confident now about outfitting the STS with this wheel/tire combo.

Scott

Archived