CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

81 fleetwood lack of power problems

bought my 81 v4-6-8 fleetwood two summers ago not running, so i had it towed to a shop where he got it up and running, but there was a problem, when i was on a freeway or something i couldnt get to top speed even if i floored the car, it felt like it wanted to shift but it was stalling, it would sometimes shift if i was going down a steep hill and the momentum would make it shift, i took it back to the maechanic, not much later he fixed it and it ran great,now last summer i had the exact same problem with the stalling and not getting to top speed, this started after i got a new distr cap because i got caught in a flood and the old one got flooded, and i got a new driver side fuel injector, i changed states so i couldnt bring it to the same mechanic, i told him how i just got a new fuel injector and distributor, and a few days later he said he fixed the prob, all he did was replace the spark plugs and fuel filter and the car ran like new, and this summer i am having the exact same problem, i cant even get the car to go above 45 mph, so i figured it was the spark plugs again, i replaced them and the wires and the fuel filter but it did nothing, can anyone help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated

What does it feel like?

Did you check the catalytic converter? Does the engine rev up fast in neutral? Does it shake? Does it rev real high when going 45mph.. give us some more info :)

Since the problem coincided with replacing the distributor cap, have you verified the firing order? On that Cadillac V8, it is 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8; number one is at the front of the engine on the passenger side. Was the ignition timing adjusted correctly?

the engine revs up fast in neutral, it shakes very badly when im in drive at a stoplight or something, the rpms are going real high when i go about 45 mph, but its not shifting unless i go down a hill or something and the momentum makes it shift, how do you check the catyltic converter, and the firing order is correct, i was hoping that would be the problem, but it wasnt they are all in the correct order and have been

If the car is shaking it could be a misfire.. If the rpms are high at 45mph then there's a transmission problem (check the fluid at least). You said you got caught in a flood, well there might be some water in the transmission fluid

Archived