CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

whining while ac is on....

acklac7

when I turn my ac on I hear a whining noise coming from the ac compressor area on the serpintine belt. I turn the ac off and within seconds the whining stops. Sounds like ethier a bad pulley bearing or the compressor is going or both. How hard is it too take the pulley out and re-pack it with grease? I am assuming this is what is wrong since the AC compressor was replaced about 30,000 miles ago..thanks acklac

A.J.

The hub assembly is repaired as an assembly, you can order the entire hub with bearing. I am not sure if you can order the bearing separately and press it in. You will need special tools that are readily available for pulling and putting the hub back on. I would take the belt off and see if the hub has play and try to determine where the roughness is coming from by alternately turning the hub and compressor separately. What kind of compressor did you get 30K ago, AC Delco or Four Seasons, or Delphi? Remember not to let this noise go too long, when it goes, you will not go too far with it, I had smoke coming out from under my hood two weeks ago. If you do not get it fixed right away you can eliminate the compressor from the belt circuit by using the 6K739 belt. Let us know how it works out, Mike

Im not sure what compressor was installed, is there a way to tell without taking it out?. Also while pulling into my garage I realized that there is always a slight whine, but it gets louder when ever the ac is engaged, then declines within seconds of turning it off. I don’t have time to get to it till this weekend....I will most likely buy the belt, can I get it from a cadi dealer? or do I/they need to special order it....Also I have "supposedly" had the ac compressor go out, along with the alternator and it used to eat belts left and right, the dealer told me "they didnt know why it went through so many belts" ...told me that they would replace it under warranty and that was that. After replacing four belts within a year they finally got something to go right and it ceased eating belts (although they never told me what that something was...this is back when I knew next to nothing about cars btw) Anyway I replaced the belt tensioner about 2000 miles ago...it was as dry as Utah(power steering pump whined like crazy while breaking it in...is this normal?, . I suspect the idler pulley is also bad, I wil check it out tomorrow. Got a question: what are they causes of (drive belt) accessory failure....I assume a bad belt tensioner would cause problems, along with a bad idler pulley, and a bad belt...but what else would cause the drive belt accessories to fail...multiple times?...thanks for the knowledge...acklac

A.J.

The problem you are having sounds exactly like the problem I was having. One thing you mentioned, the eating of belts. If eliminating my AC compressor did not solve the noise the next thing I was going to look at was the power steering pump. If you look at the archives within the last month, bbobynski describes how the power steering pump can not be aliened properly and cause whine. That is something to keep in mind if you continue to eat belts

With regard to the belt, any good parts store will have it or be able to get it, mine is a GATES 6K739, and it will allow you to eliminate the AC Compressor from the circuit. If I get a chance I will post how the belt is threaded later. All my whine was eliminated and the engine sounds great, here is photo of my compressor after it overheated and burned up from the hub bearing. Mike

post-3-1087300373.jpg

Archived