CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 STS Coolant pump leak

Good evening everyone. I noticed I was low on coolant when I checked it last week....(check it every week..) I added some....then kept an eye on it....

Noticed a very small drip comming from under where the coolant pump was....

Took it to my local garage....he checked it out and said the seal was leaking......

Before I have the pump replaced....I was wondering if I put a bottle of BARS in...if it would stop the leak....or if anyone here has any advice...

Thank you so much...I love my STS!!!!!!!

....Noticed a very small drip comming from under where the coolant pump was....Took it to my local garage....he checked it out and said the seal was leaking......

Which seal?

There are two O rings involved here.

One for the pump cartridge drive shaft and one for the pump cartridge cover plate.

It depends on which side of the pump housing is dripping coolant.

Before I have the pump replaced....I was wondering if I put a bottle of BARS in...if it would stop the leak....or if anyone here has any advice...
Not one of the aftermarket leak products will be effective if the pump drive shaft O ring is leaking.

You "might" buy some time with a liberal dose of Bar's Leaks Golden Seal Powder (or tablets) if the pump cartridge cover O ring is the source of the leak.

But the real fix depends on which side of the pump housing is leaking.

FWIW: I have been successfuly nursing a pump housing O ring leak for two years with Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder. Here is a link to the tablet form of the product (Wal*Mart carries the powder form)

http://www.barsproducts.com/HDC.htm

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived