CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

stabilty system

dmor1019

I have a 2001 Seville SLS, for reasons I can not figure out, I get a "service stability system" usually once or twice a day. Now occasionally the traction control actually engages, can I disconnect the traction control, is there a systematic plan to track the cause of this down. I really enjoy the car.

Thanks for any and all help,

Denny

....is there a systematic plan to track the cause of this down.

Step one = display the trouble codes and post them. Here's how to display

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Here is what popped up:ABS-C1282

C1287

C1288

Looking at the codes, it appears possible a steering wheel sensor, would you agree? I was not sure which codes to use, my car is a 2001 Seville,

I thank you for taking time to check my post

Denny

Possibly a steering wheel position sensor problem. What I would do is drop the trim panel under the LH side of the instument panel to access the lower section of the steering column. You will see a donut shaped one-piece device that surrounds the steering column near the floor; that is the steering wheel position sensor. Examine the wire harness and be sure the connector pins are clean and tight.

Clear all the codes and take a short test drive. Anything different after a test drive?

Do you live near salt water?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I am having the same issue. Haven't ran my codes yet, but will and post results.

Today is the day you were worried about yesterday!

Possibly a steering wheel position sensor problem. What I would do is drop the trim panel under the LH side of the instument panel to access the lower section of the steering column. You will see a donut shaped one-piece device that surrounds the steering column near the floor; that is the steering wheel position sensor. Examine the wire harness and be sure the connector pins are clean and tight.

Clear all the codes and take a short test drive. Anything different after a test drive?

Do you live near salt water?

I live in the Indianapolis area, I will check the "doughnut" put and see what happens. Will clearing the codes also erase the history or just the current codes? Again thanks for your help I really enjoy the car, but like everyone else, if I can do it myself and save some money I am glad to.

Yup! steering wheel position sensor... Very common problem... All of the 2000-2002s will start to fail by now. The senor (I took mine apart) is a circular resistance material and 2 copper "feet" that ride on the material... kind like a very fancy potentiometer. Anyway after about 60,000 miles of normal driving the copper feet will rub through the resistance material and you will get a dead short of the sensor at very specific positions of the steering wheel. The car tests for this at low speeds as you are coming to a stop... I got so used to this that I could trigger my code as I rolled up to a light. (or I could avoide the codes by coming to a stop an yanking on the wheel :rolleyes: )

You will get one code for each trip. When the computer issues a steering code it turns off the Stabilitrak system and no more code will be generated (until the next key on/off).

To replace the sensor you need to remove the steering column which is kinda hard the first time but gets easier and easier each time you do it... I've had mine out 3 times.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Yup! steering wheel position sensor... Very common problem... All of the 2000-2002s will start to fail by now. The senor (I took mine apart) is a circular resistance material and 2 copper "feet" that ride on the material... kind like a very fancy potentiometer. Anyway after about 60,000 miles of normal driving the copper feet will rub through the resistance material and you will get a dead short of the sensor at very specific positions of the steering wheel. The car tests for this at low speeds as you are coming to a stop... I got so used to this that I could trigger my code as I rolled up to a light. (or I could avoide the codes by coming to a stop an yanking on the wheel :rolleyes: )

You will get one code for each trip. When the computer issues a steering code it turns off the Stabilitrak system and no more code will be generated (until the next key on/off).

To replace the sensor you need to remove the steering column which is kinda hard the first time but gets easier and easier each time you do it... I've had mine out 3 times.

I appreciate your reply, I have Alldata, but no manual, am I going to need any special tools, what concerns should I have about the air bag,

Again thanks for your reply,

Denny

Yup! steering wheel position sensor... Very common problem... All of the 2000-2002s will start to fail by now. The senor (I took mine apart) is a circular resistance material and 2 copper "feet" that ride on the material... kind like a very fancy potentiometer. Anyway after about 60,000 miles of normal driving the copper feet will rub through the resistance material and you will get a dead short of the sensor at very specific positions of the steering wheel. The car tests for this at low speeds as you are coming to a stop... I got so used to this that I could trigger my code as I rolled up to a light. (or I could avoid the codes by coming to a stop an yanking on the wheel :rolleyes: )

I appreciate your reply, I have Alldata, but no manual, am I going to need any special tools, what concerns should I have about the air bag,

Again thanks for your reply,

Denny

No, no special tools (other then a hair dryer)

First the air bag... disconnect the battery and let the car sit for 30 minutes and you will be fine... You need to disconnect it the air bag to remove the column anyway.

Next the hair dryer... The column is held in with 4 bolts and a pinch bolt at the bottom... The pinch bolt is a B*atch. You need 4 hands, two to push down on the "soft" clear plastic cover and two to get at the pinch bolt and nut (from memory I think it was a 15mm) You may need some help underneath getting the intermediate shaft back into the pinch bolt once the repair is done... it is all really slippery down there!

The hair dryer is need to warm up the soft clear plastic... On a hot day you will be fine.

You also need to prevent the steering wheel from "free wheeling" after to disconnect the intermediate shaft... There is a special tool for this... That I have been unable to locate... Tying and wedging an old bath towel around the wheel where it meets the column worked for me.

With the column out of the car the sensor is pried off and the new on is carefully tapped on.

You can get the GM service manuals for the car online too... "Google GM eSi torrent" If you understand torrents you will have no trouble finding what you need. ;)

Good Luck

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived