CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM Error Codes

Aloha,

There are plenty of sites that list OBDII code deffinitions. When I display error codes using the dash display access, I get codes like ABS 4713, DDM 7822, DIM 3219, .....

I have been unable to locate definitions for these codes, even on this site search finds no matches. I have not purchased a work shop manual, but hopefully these would be explained.

I did get an OBDII reader, but it only listed the five character codes, which are also available on the dash display. However, the OBDII reader did not list the other 11 codes that were displayed, like IPC 2456, etc....

Anyone know of a web-site that defines these codes?

Thanks,

The OBDII DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are identified by one letter plus four numbers as in B0130 or C0121 or P1222. The B is for Body, C is for chassis, and P is for Powertrain.

The three letter designators you mention identify specific electronic modules in the vehicle. There is a list of Seviile modules (as of 1998) here - http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

The DTC points you directly at the specific module; the three letter designators are simply "more info".....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The OBDII DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are identified by one letter plus four numbers as in B0130 or C0121 or P1222. The B is for Body, C is for chassis, and P is for Powertrain.

The three letter designators you mention identify specific electronic modules in the vehicle. There is a list of Seviile modules (as of 1998) here - http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

The DTC points you directly at the specific module; the three letter designators are simply "more info".....

Aloha JimD,

OK, must be something I am missing here. No where can I find a definition for ABS 4713 or the other 10 three letter + four number designations that are displayed first on the dash. The DTC codes also displayed are DIM U1016, IRC U1016, & PCM P0741. These last three I can find the definitions.

So you are saying that these three letter ID's are not error codes (like ABS 4713), but specific electronic modules? Why are they displayed first? Thats a lot of modules, 4713, the biggest number is IRC 8076, which is even more modules?

So....?

.... No where can I find a definition for ABS 4713

You will not find a definition for ABS 4713 because that is not a DTC.

So you are saying that these three letter ID's are not error codes (like ABS 4713), but specific electronic modules?

Yes

Why are they displayed first?

I'm a messenger, not a GM engineering insider.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived