CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad coolant level sensor?

acklac7

I have been having trouble with my coolant levels for about 3 months. At first it would take a gallon of 50/50 every month, I pressurized the system and no leaks showed up...and the pressure held. Now I am getting "coolant level low" warings everyday, every time I start my car..I can fill the tank up to the brim and still recieve the message...My car runs fine and the temps are normal....and there isnt any coolant leaking/buring off. But I still recieving this message on every start up...please dont tell me the pcm is going bad!!!..thanks

A.J.

I just had my radiator replaced because it leaked , and I also had the display on my dash that says " low coolant level " or something like that , the mechanic said the radiator is full, the censor in the radiator is bad , thats why it always displays " low coolant" . Thats what the mechanic said !

I have had that same message on my STS for over a year now. I dont have any leaks and like you, just replaced the radiator. Did seem way over priced for a plastic radiator (550.00 @ dealer-part only) but you have to have one....My mechanic did the work and was slightly cheaper on the part-same AC-Delco no less....Anywho, he told me that the problem is the sensor in/on the surge tank, which by the way, can only be replaced by changing the surge tank. (enginerring marvel there-or business-minded genius, no win either way)!! :unsure:

Just check your temps/coolant level periodically and you should be fine!!

alot of times the sensor in the surge tank gets gunked up with crud and sticks. If you bang on the surge tank with a hammer than usually this will fix the problem, rather than spending some ridiculus amount of money.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Guru...I looked at the wiring to the sensor earlier today... It appears to be ok....and the coolant is about 2-2.5 inches from the top of the tank and there are no bubbles on start up. I have been using coolant...I attribute this to leaking end tanks on the radiator. Although I have not pinpointed the problem, I have pressurized the system and it will hold. But I will see small drops of coolant on the floor beneath both sides of the bumper. Upon further inspection you can see coolant on the hoses that connect the end tanks....Ive been meaning to replace them soon but haven’t had the money to order them...Anyway I have developed a habit of keeping the lcd screen on the temp setting, so I can tell if the temp starts to rise fast, and can pull over before receiving any warnings. I have yet to receive any (such as "engaging hot....disengaging ac compressor) I assume that If I start to run low on coolant my engine will run hot......but how hot? is 240+ time to pull over? It got to 250 the other day...no warning signs (this was caused by me overfilling, and the coolant spewing out, then running it the next day without topping off) It only went above 240 briefly...than stayed under 240...I added some coolant and water and it stays @ 210-227 (230's @ idle)...thanks for the help..acklac

A.J.

Archived