CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help with figuring out some 00 Deville symptoms

A mechanic friend picked up this car (00 Deville) for me. It seems a perfect fit but prior to my getting it the car sat for while and I am trying to solve some remaining problems.

At highway speed I get a slight whine and a vibration if the wheel veers to the left any amount past dead center. This is a common occurrence as there also seems to be a slight alignment issue. This doesn't occur at lower speeds and I've not yet had a chance to address the alignment issue. I did notice one morning that there was a little more effort required at a dead stop, but that issue hasn't returned. At highway speed the problem doesn't get progressively worse if the steering angle becomes more acute. The vehicle manual makes it sound like the Magnasteer option could be available on a Deville. I didn't think that was possible but then again I see some features on this vehicle that seem more associated with the other trim levels. When I first got the vehicle I thought it might ride just a bit firm- I was used to a 01 Grand Marquis LS which was pretty smooth riding. Then after my friend did some unrelated work the ride quality was at least as good as my Grand Marquis. But the next morning it was harsh again. But still better than when I first got the vehicle, at that time it would seem harsh at times and seem to seem to lose composure over certain road conditions. I though it might be a tire issue but now I wonder if the vehicle has the active suspension features and they are working intermittently.

Too may unrelated issues for my feeble mind.

Tell us if there are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes set. Here's how to disply the codes;

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Jim thank you, I'll respond soon with any codes. I expect there will be some because the check engine light is on. My friend says that's possibly due to the exhaust system (even as it passed smog fine) so I guess more will be forthcoming.

P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency

B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

C0663 - Level Control Exhaust Valve Circuit High

The only chassis issue setting a code is the Automatic Level Control exhaust valve. This is the air bag system on the rear suspension for keeping the ride height adjusted with various loads in the rear seat and trunk. Something is not working properly and could be affecting the way the car handles.

If there is less than 80,000 miles on the car, I would have a Cadillac dealer look into the P0420 situation.

Probably 1/2 of the 2000 - 2005 Devilles on the road have the B0429 code set. That only affects the rear passenger cabin temperature.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency

B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

C0663 - Level Control Exhaust Valve Circuit High

The only chassis issue setting a code is the Automatic Level Control exhaust valve. This is the air bag system on the rear suspension for keeping the ride height adjusted with various loads in the rear seat and trunk. Something is not working properly and could be affecting the way the car handles.

If there is less than 80,000 miles on the car, I would have a Cadillac dealer look into the P0420 situation.

Probably 1/2 of the 2000 - 2005 Devilles on the road have the B0429 code set. That only affects the rear passenger cabin temperature.

That was very helpful thank you. Unfortunately the car has 90k miles on it. I know that just before I got it they did the idle air control to address a fast idle. Any idea about the whine or hum a speed and now a more regular loss of assist at very low speed- does that sound like a straightforward power steering unit problem?

There were quite a few history codes, are they worth providing?

....There were quite a few history codes, are they worth providing?

Not as far as I am concerned. An alternative action would be to clear all codes and proceed from here with a clean slate.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived