CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

wheel clearance increase on newer STS's?

I am in the process of buying tires for my new rims.

They are the 17 inchers from the CTS, which Cardio-Doc sold me (a pleasure of a purchase!) and I don't really know what size of tire to go with.

My question is, was there a clearance increase at some point between the 1993 model year, and 1997? The reason I ask is, there was a fellow on "cardomain.com" who put my same CTS wheels on both his 93, and 97. He indicated that the tires rubbed at full steering lock on the 93, but not on the 97. what gives?

thanks for the input!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

If your stock tire is a P225/60R16, a good match is a P245/50R17, on the diameter and pretty good for turning, assuming you balanced your offset, or took it to the outside. If you keep the offset the same, you'll probably get some scrubbing on the inside front edge, during a sharp turn. I have these on my '93 STS.

The P245 has a nice looking stance on an STS.

the cars that you speak of are mine, and i have taken extensive photos of both wheel wells and tried to understand the difference. i cannot figure it out, other than to say maybe the difference of the Speed sensitive suspension (in the '93) vs. the Road sensing suspension (in the '97) is responsible. The '93 rubbed in numerous places, including the spring mount of the front struts! The '97 may rub on a tight turn in a bumpy parking lot once in a while, but not enough to hardly make a sound.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

Willie Hank,

Would it be possible for you to post some pics of your

tires/wheels?

I would like to see their looks on the car before I make a solid decision

Thanks!

PS: I was thinking of going with the 225/60R17 from the Lincoln Town Car, with the pinstripe white wall. What do you guys think of that? I know the "60" means the side wall will somewhat thicker, but I have looked at these tires and don't think they will be to gaudy or anything. I just don't want to over do it.

Any opinions?

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Willie Hank,

Would it be possible for you to post some pics of your

tires/wheels?

I would like to see their looks on the car before I make a solid decision

Thanks!

PS: I was thinking of going with the 225/60R17 from the Lincoln Town Car, with the pinstripe white wall. What do you guys think of that? I know the "60" means the side wall will somewhat thicker, but I have looked at these tires and don't think they will be to gaudy or anything. I just don't want to over do it.

Any opinions?

Here's a side pic.

post-3-1086138105.jpg

If your stock tire is a P225/60R16, your adding another inch to the overall tire diameter if you go with a P225/60R17, which is fairly significant when it comes to scrubbing, not to mention a slight speedo error. I would consider a P225/55R17, to approach the diameter closer, if they are available. Second choice would be a P235/50R17, although P235 may not be common.

He is a close-up of my wheels...

post-3-1086138903.jpg

Archived