CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Radiator out, now water pump housing appears to be leaking...

Delta

Well, I needed to replace the radiator anyways, but noticed that it appears the bottom of the water pump housing is leaking, and I noticed antifreeze on the ground where the pump would be above, does that mean the pump is bad? Im not familiar with this type of water pump and not sure if it is a sign it needs to be replaced or if its something else, All help appreciated!!!

It could be either the pump cover O ring is leaking OR the pump cartridge O ring is leaking. It can be difficult to determine which one it is since gravity puts the evidence from either source in the same place.

In any case, the pump cartridge is a straight forward replacement. A special cartridge socket is available for rent on this board.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It makes perfect sense; you need to replace the pump cartridge. That is not a major leak so don't get in a panic today. Take the time to locate the parts and tools.

Keep an eye on the coolant level, though.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks guys, got a new radiator today from rockauto, took out the old one, and then saw this leak. Im going to pick up the pump cartridge at Autozone, and they have the tool to remove it. Does the new pump cartridge have a new o-ring on it (I assume) and Ill also pick up the cover gasket. Thanks, I was in kind of a panic, I have to have this car done for work on Monday....

Archived