CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Buick Gran Nationals

wgt31

I know this sounds off topic but bare with me. Some of the GM tech's for the CTS-V had a comp production model here with more go. Never lined with it but I sure wanted to. Last I saw of it, was 2 black blurrs(V/GN) going by and the V was winning. Also there was a CTS with a Grand National (3.8 turbo V6) engine that was the "sh1ts", built by Dyne Engineering. Talk about a sleeper, ;) that could be a inexpesive alternative to the V model. With all the aftermarket parts available for the GN just imagine the posibilities!

I asked about the STS-V and it will be a supercharged north* available in 2 and allwheel drive. Talking with the reps was definitly a high point of the night :P that and seeing the faces of unsuspecting GN owners. Its just a S-10 B) I was harassing the GN's with my Syclone. Just wanted to share. William.

Ah yes, the legendary GMC Typhoon and Syclones with it's menacing 4.3 turbo AWD. I had an all black 92 Typhoon before I sold it get my 98 STS. I miss the "black beast." That was my most fun vehicle I've ever owned. Alot of unsuspecting drivers thought it was just a kitted out s10 Blazer. I loved playing with those young Honda and Toyota owner or anyone with a "race car". They had no idea what they were getting into when they wanted to play at the stop light. :D But they all found out when I took off like a Porsche 911 turbo. :o:blink: Word must have got around cause everytime I was near one of those guys, they all drove like the cops were behind them.

I got rid of it since the engine was a ticking time bomb. I don't know any owner who hasn't gone thru an engine rebuild. I went thru 2 and got the engine "bullet proof" with forged H beam rods and forged .030 pistons. I did most of the numerous mods available and got it I the mid 12's in 1/4 mile. That truck was so hard to drive easy. The acceleration was so addictive!!! I felt I wasn't responsible enough at the time to own it, so I had to let it go.

While not as fast, the 98 STS has been the best car i've owned for over 3 years. It's been well behaved and pretty much matinence free. It's kinda boring since I can't get my hands dirty like I did with the Typhoon, constantly checking the engine for disconnected vacuum hoses and other needed adjustments after a day of hammering it. But I guess it a "good boring." :)

I have a 95 Eldo and an 84GN. Stock for stock, they are about even in the 1/4 mile. Now my 84 is not intercooled like the 86/87 models, those are faster. Rear wheel drive with posi standard is a big advantage over front wheel drive. My Dad has an 87 that we have built up and is in the 11's, for not a whole lot of money.

I remember reading about the gn back when it was current. The mag (maybe Car and Driver) reported that at the GM test track, the gn had a bumper sticker that read: "I Brake for Corvette's".

Archived