CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HELP ENGINE REPLACEMENT OR VALVE JOB

I am at a lost, i am now told that the entire engine needs replacement on my 98 concours. they say the valve seal may be bad, it is blowing smoke, it has a bad idle that is getting worse. Any help , i need it bad. no code are showing, all other systems are perfect. what should I do?

I'd tend to agree with motor_car that valve seals doesn't sound likely. As I posted on another board, I have a 98 Aurora (4.0 NS) that was blowing white smoke, took a lot of cranking to start accompanied by the strong smell of hydrocarbons out the tail pipe. Lots of white smoke when the car finally started. The problem was a faulty injector stuck open & bleeding pressure and dumping gas into one of the cylinders. That suprised me slightly since when my motorcycle was running rich the smoke out the pipe was black. On the other hand it was a LOT of raw gas being dumped thru the cars exhaust.

Second hand story for what its worth or not worth. I heard a story of someone with a Honda Prelude who had a fuel delivery problem. The gas got into a cylinder and washed away all the oil off the wall of the piston bore. The guy let the car sit and the piston froze inside the bore. Supposedly (this story comes from a mechanic where I get my gas) they had to take the head off, soak the bore with penetrating oil and tap the piston with a block of wood to break it free!

Archived