CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Im Selling the Caddy CODES ARE KILLING ME

ETC

I need some technical help. I never have had trouble with a Caddy like my Eldo I now own. Im getting codes left and right. PC1406(EGR Pintle Position Circut), pc1602(Knock Sensor Module Performance), PC15719(Traction Control Torque Resist Circut). How do you fix these Problems? Also ones I cant find are PZ2042, RS0038, TC0073 and IR1740. What are these codes and how do you fix them? Thanks so much guys. You all have helped me so much in the past.

I have some information for you about the TC0073 code that may be helpful. The following is from one of my posts from a while back that talks about this particular code.

I have this same code on my 1996 Seville SLS and it was really concerning me because I couldn't figure out why it was happening. Finally, I found that there was a technical service bulletin regarding this particular trouble code - TC0073. Its

bulletin 63-50-16 dated May 1996.

Basically, the bulletin indicates that there was a software bug in the EBTCM (Electronic Brake / Traction Control Module) for 1996 Cadillacs manufactured with the last 6 digits of the VIN number that are smaller numbers than as follows:

Concours / Deville --- 280478

Eldorado ------------- 614516

Seville -------------- 826978

If you are not having a "real" problem and are getting an invalid DTC due to the software bug you should be able to duplicate the problem as follows:

First, turn the rear air conditioning blower to the lowest fan speed setting. Then, reset the TCS codes to that TC0073 is no longer shown. Now, turn off your engine. Restart the engine after a few minutes and then run the diagnostics again. You should find that the TC0073 does not show up. You should be able to drive around, turn the engine on and off, etc. and the TC0073 should not appear provided that you leave the rear air blower set to the lowest setting. After trying this out, turn the rear air to the highest blower setting and then turn off the engine. When you restart the car and run diagnostics the TC0073 should reappear again as though you have a problem. If this is what happens and your VIN number is within the range as indicated above then you are getting an invalid TC0073 message.

You do not need to do anything about the message. You could replace the EBTCM since the new ones no longer have the software bug but that would probably cost you well over $600 and it just isn't necessary.

Don't ask me what the rear air blower setting has to do with this because I can't for the life of me see the connection. That's just what the service bulletin says and sure enough this is exactly what was going on with my car. After the TC0073 code was shown in my car and I tried this little test I went a step further and purposely spun the tires on wet pavement to see if the traction control would kick in like it should. The system worked perfectly. Since then I have stopped worrying about it.

Hope this helps... at least for that particular code.

David

• 8 months later...

IR1740 the one I am trying to overcome, usually with dreaded P0717 is :

Torque Converter Clutch inductive signature malfunction/ Torque reduction signal circuit

Hey thanks for info on the Tc0073 I had put the rear AC on Medium and it went away, just didn't know what I had done.....But knew the blower in dash makes very loud noise when rear is on low or high so I had set it on med.....and code disappeared...have been battlling codes for a month now....down to two...one listed above...have replaced sensor on transaxle part number Wells SU1070... made code P0716 go away....and made the p0717 intermittent...no more harsh shifts....only sets code sometimes when slowing down in first....thinking it is dirty wire...or kink etc.....just replaced 4 or 5 motor mounts...so will be looking for stretched wires ect....and then onto vaccum leaks....don't really think it is sensor inside of transmission....

I've been following posts on a couple of Caddy boards for a number of years and have realized that the various systems are seemingly susceptible to throwing false codes if the voltages are not up to spec. You might compare it to a person with a clogged carotid artery sometimes not thinking clearly. In many instances a Caddy with a fist full of unrelated codes has been "cured" by cleaning the battery connections, replacing battery cables with internal corrosion, and cleaning as many grounds as could be accessed. It's free, probably needs to be done anyway and can't hurt.

FWIW

YMMV

DFB

Archived