CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Computer Problem Please Help!

moses

I have a 2001 cadillac deville ..I am having a strang problem with the computer the car only starts when i put a ground wire from the computer to a ground on the car! I have checked the grounds on the wireing harness and they are all fine..I was wondering could the computer have an internal problem with its ground??? It just wouldnt start one day and after 5 days of looking at it i figured it out with the ground wire that i put on the computer to the car but after a while of drivng it burns up the ground wire! ANy help out there would be SOOOOOO Helpful..Thanks

I assume when you say you are grounding the computer you mean you are grounding the case of the PCM. Have you retrieved any codes and if so what are they. The PCM is insulated from the chassis ground when in its protective case. I would suggest you look at the Dash Integration Module as a source of grounding problems. It applies ground when certain criteria are met like the transmission is not in gear etc. If the temporary ground is burning off, it must be drawing a lot of current That also suggests to me that there is a short somewhere.

Thank u for your response..Yes i did mean on the case of the pcm..There are no codes however..the ground wire that i did use was about a 14-16 gauge wire..But when i did ground it the car ran fine for about 1 hour worth of driving.. were is the dash integration module located? As for the short i went through the whole harness and tested for shorts on the harness i din't find any..Thanks agn :)

The DIM, dash integration module is under the glove box and just to the left almost against the door pillar. It's a box about 5 x 5 inches with two plugs going into the bottom of it. I'm sorry I'm not much help to you but that is the device that controls engine starting among other things. If you replace it, the DIM with need to be programmed with a TechII tool which means a trip to the dealer. Was there a particular reason why you tried grounding the PCM case ie. just trial and error or something else that led you there.

Ya basically i had the computer out of the air filter box and noticed when i grounded the case to the fender lip that the fuel rail wich would just sound like it was just flowing the gas like when u first turn the key ya know would stop and all would go back to normal then i had a freind start the car while i had it grounded and it worked ..so that is how i figured it out that way.. But really havent figured anything out ..lol ..I dont know i guess back to the drawing board.. Hey listen i have a snap on solis scanner one of snap ons best can i use that to program the dim??

No that won't program the DIM. The DIM will need to be programmed if you find a used one or a new replacement but that may not be the problem. Only a guess. When you say there are no codes, have you actually gone into the onboard diagnostics and tried to display the codes on the instrument panel. It's kind of strange that no codes are appearing when the car is experiencing a complete starting failure. I would have thought there'd be a PCM code or DIM code for sure.

Archived