CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wheel Spacers

STS Scott

I am in the process of putting the newer 17 inch, CTS style rims on my STS, but the thought crossed my mind that their appearance would look even more dynamite if they were mounted just about an inch outwards.

I remember talk of "wheel spacers" on the old board, but could not find it in the search.

Is this an ok thing to do? Will it stress the wheel mount if I do so?

I only want them pushed out about an inch.

What do you guys think?

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Never done it, but be concerned about clearances on tight turns (it may make a difference), and obviously you must consider new studs. Also, can it be aligned to the factory spec.s that are contained within the alignment machines, specifically a four-wheel alignment.

Why do you not consider changing the wheel offset, or do you have a particular wheel in mind whose offset causes this spacer ?

I am in the process of putting the newer 17 inch, CTS style rims on my STS, but the thought crossed my mind that their appearance would look even more dynamite if they were mounted just about an inch outwards.

I remember talk of "wheel spacers" on the old board, but could not find it in the search.

Is this an ok thing to do? Will it stress the wheel mount if I do so?

I only want them pushed out about an inch.

What do you guys think?

That would certainly put loads on the bearings that the drivetrain and rear suspension was not designed for...How long do you plan on keeping the car, and how much do you not want to spend on it while you have it? ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

yup, they're right... generally not a good idear.

I plan on keeping the car for a fairly long amount of time (about more years maybe).

As to how much money I would like to invest into it, well AFTER I invest too much money into a 9 year old car that is practical, with the purchase of teh wheels, I don't really want to do any more expensive mods.

The wheel spacers were just a thought. I suppose the 17 inch rims are a little wider than the 16"s on there, so I'll most likely be happy.

Thanks for the insight!

Scott

wups...

I meant to hit a "5", as in I plan to keep the car five more years!

Scott

Archived