CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fan In Center Console

I'd like to know too, mines got a pine needle or leaf in it buzzing away :)

I fixed it once by just leaving it on for a few days and it finally "ate" what ever it was.....

But it's back this winter :(

I took my center console apart about a year ago to fix the vent control for the back seat. Based on what I remember about the job, i believe the fan could easilly be accessed/replaced.

The console is slightly different visualy on my 95, but I doubt that means they are different in terms of "their guts" (for lack of a better word).

I started by flipping up the center armrest, and then the black plastic insert that holds CDs pulls straight up out of that hole. There is then a single bolt that I used a long extension on a wrachet wrench to reach, straight down, in the center, on the floor. The major differece between the console in the 96/97 and the ones prior lies in the controls at the front. In mine, the wood pulls away to reveal two bolts at the top corners of the consol (just below the dash vents), that fasten the consol to the dash board.

As to removing the fan, I'll have to leave you on that one, but I hope maybe this helps you "loosen things up" a bit, so that you may remove it.

One more thing to consider, and this is more of a motivational thing, is that these cars were initialy designed to have a steering column shift too. Thus the console was designed to fit only the higher end, and eventually, all the Seville models. To do this, they would have had to allow it to be easilly installed, and thus easilly removable. All this means is that it is not a complicated process.

hope this helps!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I had a problem with my fan in the center console as well.. at first I thought my exhaust was grounding out against my car because the fan made a LOUD VIOLENT rumbling noise when it was on. I soon found out with help from this board that it was my electric fan in there. I haven't figured out how to fix it yet.. looks like a job that takes up a lot of time.

I have a 1997 Eldorado ETC..

Archived