CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 DTS "service electrical system"

Well, I am finally back. I was on last week but the posts were deleted due to the script/hackers. I would like to get some input on my 2000 DTS.

I ran the DTC check and got the following:

c 1287 steering sensor rate malfunction

c 1295 brake lamp switch circuit open

As advised by some other members, I checked the battery cables which were tight, and the tail lights work. I called a local corner repair shop and they told me to clear the codes out and if the message "service electrical system" comes back, I know it needs repaired. I have not cleared the codes out.

What should I do? Should I clear them? I haven't just in case I need to get it to the dealer. Thanks for the input.

I would clear them and monitor as a standard policy. Nothing to lose by making sure you have a bona fide fault (or two).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Now, I just noticed that the tail lamps are lit all the time, like the running lights are "on." Should I be thinking I have a short somewhere? The brake lights light when the break pedal is pushed, and the rear blinkers work when activated. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Are your fog lamps selected ON? Or if your wiper switch is in the first notch for rainsense, that will have headlamps and tail lamps on.

Any codes?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 2 weeks later...

No codes for anything else. I took the car to the dealership and the steering malfunction requires the steering column to be removed (which is more than I can do as a shadetree mechanic.) The car will be ready tomorrow with both codes being repaired.

Archived