CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

i want more power!

what products are out there such as chips, plugs or wires for my 97 eldorado?

i already have a k&n and a good exhaust. i also have the bosch platinum plus 4.

aside from a supercharger or turbo, which i am planning on getting , i cant find much can anyone help me?

phat, the reason that you can't find much is, there isn't much. This side of NOS or a blower, don't waste your money. There are no chips out there for your OBDII system, and OEM wires and plugs are the best for reliablity. None of those aftermarket plugs and wires will do anything but drain your wallet. Besides opening up the exhaust a bit, that's about all there is over the factory design. They have already squeezed more than one hp per cubic inch out of that little V-8, no easy trick. Most of us have learned to accept that and be happy. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

when i first bought it i was happy and dont get me wrong i still LOVE my eldo, but as far as horsepower, it is starting to fall behind, volvo has 300 now, i cant remember what model but i saw a commercial for one with 300 , no way in hell i am gonna get beat by a volvo. i guess i am gona have to buy that supercharger and put those headers on it, or maybe twin turbo?. there is a place in town who builds turbos. and said he would enjoy doing my car.

would i have to do anything with the timing? for a supercharger or turbo? does any one know?

Minor mods just aren''t going to do anything noticeable.

Major mods such as the supercharger project will cost big bucks and will be a continuous headache/nightmare for PCM tuning, maintenance , etc.

I guess if you really NEED more power I'd recommend a nitrous system. That's going to give you the biggest HP increase for the money.

My advice would be to enjoy your car as it is. It's a great car with great engineering.

i thought a nitrous system would be hard on the engine. what kind of headaches would the supercharger cause? would a turbo or twin turbo ,if it fits, cause the same headaches? and again would i have to advance or slow down the timing at all for the nitrous? same question for the turbo or supercharger. does anyone know these answers?

thank you

i thought a nitrous system would be hard on the engine. what kind of headaches would the supercharger cause? would a turbo or twin turbo ,if it fits, cause the same headaches? and again would i have to advance or slow down the timing at all for the nitrous? same question for the turbo or supercharger. does anyone know these answers?

thank you

Finding space for a supercharger or turbo and fabrication of the mountings and will be tough on a Cadillac but probably solvable with some ingenuity and creativity. A supercharger or turbo system could potentially work great IF you can find someone who can properly calibrate the the fuel and spark curves. This is complicated and will be very difficult to accomplish with the factory PCM. You'll most likely need some type of aftermarket controller and someone very knowledgable to set it up. Otherwise, you'll likely have some pretty major driveability issues.

Of course, adding a supercharger or turbo will increase the stresses on your engine, leaving it more susceptible to internal damage if you experience detonation and preignition during your setup and tuning processes. In a worst case scenario, you could find yourself will an expensive pile of junk in your garage if you get it wrong.

The last major disadvatange is that any kind of supercharger or turbo setup will cost you pretty big bucks.

Nitrous is a little easier to work with since modern systems have the ability to add the extra fuel in with the nitrous. It's more likely that calibrating your fuel and spark will be less of an issue. But yes, of course, getting on the nitrous adds stress to your internal engine components too. Really, there is no free lunch here. If you want more power, have to be willing to make the sacrifices.

My advice is still to enjoy driving your nice Cadillac as it is and save your money. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are 20 years old and you invest only $100 a month in some quality mutual funds, you could have $1,176,477 buy the time you are 60 (assuming a 12% average return.) On the other hand, if you wait until you are 40 to make the same $100/month investment, you'll only have $98,925 when you are 60. But I digress.

thanks for the tips on investments but i already have a plan to retire at 45. i love my caddy and i want to go fast with it. i will 100 % look in to it more and definetly make sure that whoever i get to do my work is knowledgable and will do it right.

i am taking my eldo on as my project car and hopefully by next year it will be my car to only drive in the sun. i will post my results of the turbo or supercharger when i do it hopefully next summer

Archived