CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 STS Struts

wbear

My 98 has 127k miles on it and the front struts are shot. There's a tremendous differece between factory and aftermarket replacements. Do I need electronic controlled struts? If not, what differences will I notice? I don't need factory performance out of this car. Even with the bum struts, it is the nicest riding car I've ever owned. I'm on a bit of a budget and don't want to sink too much money into the car.

Brotha I believe you can only install the stock electronic controlled struts. The lowest price I found was GMpartsdirect.com for $360 each +$75 shipping. It is not bad compared to $700+ each at the dealer. That site will list non electronic but I believe thats for previous model STS and it incorrect. The struts are not to difficult to replace, any shop should be able to do it. Also pick up the lower spring insulator cushion that sits on the top of the strut. Just get it at the dealer for $15 each. It made a huge difference when I replaced mine.

JLaw, Mint 98 STS, 66k miles

I just replaced all my struts as well and I can't believe the difference! It was like buying a brand new car! I never got any messages but I had to replace the rear struts because the rubber boots were leaking and then I figured I should replace the front ones because the car would "bounce" a little going over bumps. Now the car is tight and fun to drive again. It was a little expensive but I couldn't imagine not utilizing the CVRSS system. It ties so many other things in.

Max

98 STS

Archived