CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine

QbanCgar

i recently got my '93 STS back from my mechanice after he replaced my strut mounts (LOOOOOOOOOOOONG overdue) but i noticed now i hear a "whinnin'" noise coming from the engine. :( i recently had the oil change but the noise is still there. i wish i had an audio of the noise n so that it would b easier 2 explain. nonetheless it is really annoying :angry: & i am lookin 4 some feedback if possible.

Thanks n advance,

QbanCgar :)

Pimpin' In My Black 'Lac

Hi,

The noise could be from the power steering system.(pump, low fluid, dirty filter if it has one etc)

The other noise you think is an exhaust noise could be an exhaust manifold leak or not knowing what it sounds like, a bad CV joint on one of the front axles.

Good luck. :)

Hi,

The noise could be from the power steering system.(pump, low fluid, dirty filter if it has one etc)

The other noise you think is an exhaust noise could be an exhaust manifold leak or not knowing what it sounds like, a bad CV joint on one of the front axles.

Good luck. :)

i doubt it could b the the cv joints as i had them both replaced about a year ago, but then again i'm not a mechanic so what do i know. however the altenator pulley noise sounds about right b/c when i lifted the hood the other day, the noise did sound like it was coming from right side of the engine near 1 of the belts. :(

Pimpin' In My Black 'Lac

If you want to be certain it's a pulley just take the serpentine belt off and start the engine. If you're certain it's a pulley you can buy about a 3-foot piece of 5/8-inch coolant hose and use it as a stethoscope by carefully putting the tube on the tensioner, alternator, etc. Don’t need to put the hose on the pullies themselves just as near as possible. Put the hose next to your ear as you move it. Chances are you will be able to pin it down. Also, you can by a mechanics stethoscope at PepBoys for about $20.

If you want to be certain it's a pulley just take the serpentine belt off and start the engine. If you're certain it's a pulley you can buy about a 3-foot piece of 5/8-inch coolant hose and use it as a stethoscope by carefully putting the tube on the tensioner, alternator, etc. Don't need to put the hose on the pullies themselves just as near as possible. Put the hose next to your ear as you move it. Chances are you will be able to pin it down. Also, you can by a mechanics stethoscope at PepBoys for about $20.

I'm sure this goes w/o saying, but be careful with that hose so it doesn't get caught up in the belts, and if it does :o be ready to let go of it....quick!

The hose trick works great btw. ;)

Archived