CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Aftermarket shocks/struts??

Rickm6

Jim, How do I do that on my 96 DeVille? I had passives installed over a year ago and keep getting that darn message.. Is it the same thing? Resister value the same?

It's the same principle but I have no experience with a '96 Deville or what values of resistance would kill the message.

It would not take very much experimenting to hit a resistance value that works. Go to Radio Shack and purchase a package of Item #217-1124 (4.7K - 1/2 Watt) and a package of the next higher standard resistance value @ 1/2 Watt. Your cost of parts will be less than $3.00. Try the 4.7K value and if you still get the message, try the next higher resistance.

If neither of those values work, try the next standard value less than 4.7K.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jim, How do I do that on my 96 DeVille? I had passives installed over a year ago and keep getting that darn message.. Is it the same thing? Resister value the same?

It's the same principle but I have no experience with a '96 Deville or what values of resistance would kill the message.

It would not take very much experimenting to hit a resistance value that works. Go to Radio Shack and purchase a package of Item #217-1124 (4.7K - 1/2 Watt) and a package of the next higher standard resistance value @ 1/2 Watt. Your cost of parts will be less than $3.00. Try the 4.7K value and if you still get the message, try the next higher resistance.

If neither of those values work, try the next standard value less than 4.7K.

I used 10ohm 50watt resistors to get the codes (succesfully) cleared on my car.

I picked that value up on the 'other' caddy website.

The 50watt part made it a bit expensive per resistor (10 dollars each)

just my two cents.

Marc.

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

I used 10ohm 50watt resistors to get the codes (succesfully) cleared on my car.

I picked that value up on the 'other' caddy website.

The 50watt part made it a bit expensive per resistor (10 dollars each)

just my two cents.

Marc.

I believe (and could easily be wrong) that the 10 Ohm value came from the aftermarket strut suppliers based on the DC resistance value of the solenoid coil.

While the DC value is important when testing for coil continuity, that value is way too low when the circuit is in normal operation. And that very low resistance is why you required a 50 Watt resistor value.

I know for certain that the 4.7K value works as advertised on '98-'04 non-Magnaride Sevilles; and it might even work on Magnaride but I have not tested it.

The actual inductive reactance value of the coil operating at 2 KHz is what we are trying to mimic. I made some current measurements driving around various roads, used those current values to calculate a range of pure resistance that would draw that much current. Used those values to back into a starting point for the resistors and 4.7 K was the first one I tried.

Once again, I have not played with a '97 or earlier, but it would not take too much test equipment to duplicate what I did with my '98. And you are probably aware that the design and operation of the RSS or CVRSS system has changed several time over the years.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived