CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cooling Fan Fault 9

jetfxrf16

Help,

My 1987 Seville keeps flashing a "COOLING FAN FAULT 9" message at me. What is strange is that it only occurs when the A/C is operating. I have checked under the hood when the fault occurs and both cooling fans are running. The engine does not overheat and the coolant temp hovers somewhere between 190-212 degrees with and without the A/C on. I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, upper and lower hoses but this was because the radiator was leaking coolant. If you turn the A/C off the fault message goes away and never returns. I also replaced the fan relay located in the hood fuse panel with no luck. I also get a BCM code of B441 whenever I get this fault message.

Update to cooling fan fault - I am also getting an intermittent BCM code B337. I also checked the cooling fans after allowing the engine to cool. With the coolant temperature at 111 degrees BOTH cooling fans are running. Shouldn't the second fan not come on until the A/C is turned on? I welcome any assistance from anyone who can help me correct this problem.

I couldn't find B441 in my 90Seville service manual, but did find B337, which is Loss of hvac programmer data. Code B337 will set if the ignition is on and the bcm has lost data communication with the programmer. The fault could be due to a loss of 12 volts power or grount to the programmer or a double open in the programmer data line, one on each side of the component. When this code is set, the a/c clutch is disabled and the blower runs at a constant six volts.

If code b337 is intermittent and shows as history, without any other codes, then check the ignition feed, cps ground and data circuits for intermittent faults.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Thanks Jeff,

I found the B441 code and all it says is "Cooling fans or circuit fault". Do you or anyone know if both cooling fans should be running all the time? Also should I just replace the climate control programmer, because you are right when the B337 code is set the blower is on constantly blowing hot air?

Thanks T

It could be a few things, a bad programmer, an open circuit in ckt 800 between programmer and bcm, or an open circuit in ckt 803 from pin k of the programmer, or a short to ground in ckt 750. Id check the ground and make sure all connections to the programmer are tight.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

I ran across a possible clue. In 1988 GM issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) addressing intermittent cooling system faults (#8825), does anyone out there know of this or have a copy. The vehicle is a 1987 Seville.

JetfxrF16

I had a cooling fan warning on my 87 deville Replaced the module located in the front or back? (cant remember off hand) of the radiator support on the drivers side (got the part from a junk yard ) hope this helps MIKE

Archived