CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'97 STS Alternator replacment

Is there any tricks on removing and replacing an alternator on a 1997 STS? Mine is making noises. I heard that the best way to get it out of the car is from the bottom. What other information will I need to get the job done? Should I get a new or rebuilt one? Cost? Thanks Ken

Is there any tricks on removing and replacing an alternator on a 1997 STS? Mine is making noises. I heard that the best way to get it out of the car is from the bottom. What other information will I need to get the job done? Should I get a new or rebuilt one? Cost? Thanks Ken

Can't help you with the remove and replace.

But would recommend a GM rebuild (see www.gmpartsdirect.com part # 10463385 for $125 plus 20% S&H). Aftermarket rebuilds are generic and do not marry well with a pulse width field current system.

Or, the bearings and other pieces are available if you feel like rebuilding your present alternator (not a tough job).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

:P you're in luck, I just changed my 97 sts alternator the other day for the exact same reason. The alternator cost $125 and it was alittle trouble to get it out. You have to change it from the bottom, it is the only way. I had to take out the pass. side radiator fan also. Not much room between the rad. and alternator bracket but it will come out. Be careful for the radiator, I marked mine up a bit. I'm not sure if you ever changed an alternator before so I am going to say first thing DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. You have either a first production or second production alternator if you do not have a heated windshield if it is like mine. I still am not sure what the difference is but mine was a second production for what that is worth. Good luck and if you have any other quesitons just post. druhl

Archived