CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

MPG For OnyxSTS

weephee

I think we have the same car basically. Blk/Blk 2002 STS with Navigation. Just wondering what kind of mileage you are getting. Mine is around 20 mpg overall which I am a little disappointed in. Just wondering if your mileage improved when you changed the cat converter. By the way, did you replace the drive axle seal in the tranny.

1) Both mileage and performance improved significantly with new CAT.

2) City Driving I only get about 16 MPG but highway I'm well over 25.

3) I have the Axle seal project scheduled for the July 1st long weekend "Oh Canada"

Mileage really varies dramatically with driving habits... I'm sure I could get 17 or may be even 18 around town but I just love to keep the cylinders clean .

PS No Nav in my car... and I'm not bitter... ok just a little.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Thanks for responding. I guess I'm on target then wrt mileage. Just one other question. What made you think you needed to change your converter. Did a trouble code pop up?

Yes car started to issue P0420 intermittently about once a month at first and then more frequent or about one a week. Based on some advice and support on this forum, I checked my warranty card... discovered that the exhaust system was still covered and the dealer fixed it for free...

I also discovered that there is a service campaign for this problem in these and a lot of car GM made in 2002. You will note in the service campaign you might not get a Code.

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, Reduced Vehicle Power/Acceleration/Speed, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0420 (Diagnosis and Replace Catalytic Converter) #03-06-04-028 - (May 15, 2003)Service Engine Soon (SES) Light on, Reduced Vehicle Power/Acceleration/Speed, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0420 (Diagnosis and Replace Catalytic Converter)

2002-2003 Cadillac DeVille, Seville

Condition

Some customers may comment of the SES light on and/or possible reduced vehicle power, acceleration and reduced top speed. DTC P0420 may be set.

Cause

The catalytic converter efficiency may be too low and/or restricted.

If you have this problem the car will start to perform like a total pig... But the loss of performance is very gradual... I didn't notice it until I was "passing" a deSol one day and the little Honda actually gave me a bit of a run for it...

With the new cat I would love to find that guy and have a re-match!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived