CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Aftermarket Stereos

I have installed many aftermarket systems in cars, but never a cadillac. I have a 92 Eldo TC. I just wanted to know, how hard is it to install an aftermarket Cd or DVD player? I may do the DVD thing, but more than likely will go with the CD. Is there any special wires I need to worry about? Or is everything I need in the factory harness? Also, I will be changing out the deck and door speakers. Is that complicated? The rear deck doesn't look bad, but i'm worried about the front doors. Is there a certain size speaker that fits, or do i need to custom some type of panel for them to fit in? All help is apprieciated...

Thanks

I just had a new sound system put in my 97 Eldorado.. you're gonna have to re-wire the whole system (pain in the *smurf*).. unless u get one of those BOSE converters, i don't know how well those work or if they make em for cadillacs.. but i've heard of them.. also finding a dash kit to fit the 92 eldo will be hard, i used a 99 deville aftermarket dash kit and doesn't fit too well.. anyway, goodluck

I just installed an aftermarket in my '92 seville. It was a pain. Basically, your tuner with allof your speaker wires and antenna wire is probably located inthe trunk like mine was and your stereo in your dash is just used as a "controller" Since my aftermarket had all of the wires inclusive, I had to run new speaker wires up to the front doors and all of the way back to the rear speakers...also...I had to run a 12 foot antenna extension to the front to hook into the stereo. Not a fun job...took me about 6 hours. Sounds great though....but just a lot of work. Good luck

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

So basically what y'all are saying is that this is not an easy job? So do I need to rewire the whole car? Power wires, speaker wires, remote wires and everything? If I have to do all that, that's cool.... Where do I run my constant power wire to? What about my ignition wire? I figure the speakers wont be too bad. Just would need to pull out all the interior trim and rear seats. I saw on a website, something about a 32 pim GM adapter. Would this work? I'm not going to use any OEM parts (changing speakers and everything). Can't i just cut the existing BOSE harnesses and use the speaker wires that run to them? If anyone has a wiring diagram for the 92 Eldorado I would most apprieciate you posting it. I don't want to pay someone 60 bucks to install this. I know I can do it with just a little help. THanks alot

i need to bump this...i got a head unit and speakers ready to go, but need some last minute help...

I will rewire the whole system (speaker wires and evrything). My most concerning question is, where do you run the constant power and ignition power to? Also, how do you run the antenna up to the head unit, since all of its in the trunk. All help is greatly apprieciated..

Thanks

I replaced my stock stereo also. I used a DVm to pick up constant and ign at the plug for stock radio, I ran rca jacks, antenna+, and antenna cable along right side door sill. You will need mini antenna jack, which maybe Pepboys or Radio shack have and extend to the dash. Good luck

If I remember correctly,there is constant and ign at the head unit plug in the dash. With a tester you can verify this info. Then you can tap of the wire, otherwise you will have to run all new wiring.You will also have to run a wire for power antenna to the trunk.

You will also need an antenna extension. The extension can be bought at PepBoys or maybe Radio Shack. The only issue would be for you to locate an adapter to convert the car antennas' Mini GM plug to a standard plug.I dont recall if you need a female to male, you will have to check it out.

I ran the extra wires along the right door sill, carefully removing and then replacing everything. It is a slow task, so make sure you have everything you need, because you will not want to take it apart again.

Good luck, it can be done.

Ok, today i got a wiring harness that connects into the GM plug that would plug into the tuner box (in the trunk). I was told that i should hook that harness into the GM plug and run all of my wires from the newly acquired harness (power, ign, antenna, speakers, etc) to the head unit. Then i can cut into the factory wiring, of course cutting the speaker wires before they reach the bose amps. Then i could hook the existing wires into my aftermarket speakers. Does this sound right? If so, does anyone know the speaker wire colors for each speaker? I don't want to hook a wire that was meant for the amp into an aftermarket speaker. I did also get the antenna adapter and extender. I had to buy a small plug to big plug converter, and a 12ft extention to run to the dash. I plan on later hooking up an amp and subs, so I will run all these wires along my drivers side trim. Basically this is all i need to know to finish the job. I took out the back seat and pulled up the trim to see how hard or easy that would all be. I went pretty well. Now i just need to know about the speakers. I can't seem to find a wiring diagram for this car, so I am relying on your help...

Thanks...

Before you know it....I will be bumpin in my El Dog...

If you know you're going to get an aftermarket Amp, you may want to consider purchasing it now and run the 4 or 8 gauge wire while you're doing the current installation or you'll have to move everything again (another 6 hour job). When I did my aftermarket conversion for my 93 STS, I had to run a 4 gauge wire direct from the battery to the trunk....through a hole in the front passenger floor....using a 4 channel Amp will ease your speaker installation, just run the speakers to the Amp and don't worry about getting near the Bose system, because the wires on the Bose speaker system are sized and rated different from the wires you need for aftermarket speakers. If you have the 32-pin harness connector, you can use the existing power antenna turn on lead to also turn on your Amp/Amps/CD changer.

Archived