CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar cooling system

97seville

97 Seville SLS 94K miles

losing coolant....temperature guage does not show overheating but I see coolant

steam after a few WOT runs....(I top off the coolant when it cools)

I see coolant below where the water pump mounts so I'm assuming this is the problem.

I have also noticed a "whine" ...increases with rpm/load...can't really notice it at hwy speed.(not sure if related).

How difficult is it to change the water pump if you buy the special tool...is this the only "special tool" required? (I have done a lot of my own repairs...replace xmission, timing belts, water pumps,rear main seal etc. on other cars)

The guys at the local parts house acted like it was really hard and that I needed to take it to someone....any advice...tips?

97 Seville SLS 94K miles

losing coolant....temperature guage does not show overheating but I see coolant

steam after a few WOT runs....(I top off the coolant when it cools)

I see coolant below where the water pump mounts so I'm assuming this is the problem.

I have also noticed a "whine" ...increases with rpm/load...can't really notice it at hwy speed.(not sure if related).

How difficult is it to change the water pump if you buy the special tool...is this the only "special tool" required? (I have done a lot of my own repairs...replace xmission, timing belts, water pumps,rear main seal etc. on other cars)

The guys at the local parts house acted like it was really hard and that I needed to take it to someone....any advice...tips?

IT`S PRETTY EASY TO DO. I JUST DID THE WATER PUMP ON MY `98 ELDORADO. YOU WILL HAVE A STRAIGHT SHOT TO THE FRONT OF THE PUMP AND ALL THE BOLTS IF YOU REMOVE THE AIR BOX AND THE TOP RADIATOR HOSE. THERE ARE A COUPLE OF OTHER WIRE LOOMS AND JUNK TO MOVE OUT OF THE WAY BUT, NO BIG DEAL. BUY THE NEW STYLE GASKET FOR THE PUMP FRONT COVER AND DON`T FORGET THE SEALANT TABLETS. THE SOCKET WILL TAKE THE PUMP OUT JUST FINE. MINE WAS A LITTLE STIFF AND TOOK SOME EFFORD TO BREAK IT LOOSE. IT SHOULD TAKE YOU 1 1/2 TO 2 HOURS TO DO.

There is a lot of information on this subject in the archives.

On mine there was a fine spray of coolant just behind, and below the pump.

The hardest part for me was getting the old pump out. The new pump goes in quite easily using a little grease on the new o-ring provided. Auto Zone as a loaner tool program where you buy the pump socket for around $20 and return it for a full refund. I had to use a pipe extension on my 1/2 inch breaker bar to get the old pump out. Be sure to use BAR's coolant tablets or pre-mix when you re-fill the coolant. Wal-Mart carries it, the cost use to be around a buck fifty per pre-mix tube. The recommendation is to use two tubes and these added to the upper radiator hose. Do not add them to your coolant tank.

From memory, and I could be wrong, the breaker bar is pushed clock wise towards the firewall to remove the old pump.

I entire job should take about 1.0 to 1.5 hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm two weeks post water pump replacement and all is well.

You guys are pretty fast....It took me about 4 hours. I did replace the upper and lower hoses as well as the small (6 in.)piece of hose connecting to the water pump cover.

I agree with other archived posters....easiest water pump I have ever replaced.

I rented the tool from auto-zone...It is such a high quality tool I think I will keep it. ($29) much better than

the lisle(spelling?) tool.

I want to thank all posters present and archived for their help...I think I would have taken it to the dealer without you.

thanks again

Jeff

Jeff, good to hear you got your pump replaced easily. I did the pump once, at about 100k miles or so. It took me about 2 hours. About a year ago, I had to go back in and replace the water pump cover seal (I reused the original the first time) and my time was down to about 45 minutes. It gets easier the second time.

Your experience also illustrates how unfamiliar many mechanics are with this engine...the fact they said it was difficult to replace. That happens often...but you can always trust us! :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived