CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sunroof won't close, anyway to shut manually?

Hey guys, I've got some nasty cigarette burns in my sliding headliner for the sunroof. I found another cadillac at the junk yard that has a nice liner but the the sunroof is opened all the way back and I have no clue how to bring it back to the closed position in order to remove it. The car has no motor, key or battery so there has to be a manual way to close that thing. Anyone know how?

Thanks, Phil

This sure is an interesting topic for me as well. I had a Lincoln once and the electronic controller went bad with the sun roof open. It would work to open the sun roof but not to close it. It started to rain and I was stuck. I had to drop the head liner and get at the controller at the back of the roof opening. I took a small 12 volt battery with a long wire lead. I removed the plug to the controller and touched the leads to the plug untill I got the motor to run in the close mode. Once closed I put it all back together and then disconnected the switch on the dash so I did not accidentaly hit the switch again. I later found out the controller was no longer available. Are there ways to close a sunroof that is electrically stuck open?????

Remove the plastic trim piece located between the sun visors (it has the sunroof control switch mounted on it). You will see the sunroof motor mechanism located in the opening. There are about three screws that hold the mechanism in place. If you remove the screws, the mechanism will drop straight down. When the mechanism comes out, the splined drive shaft will disengage from the cable drive pulley located in the sunroof frame. Once the mechanism is removed, the pulley is free to turn and you can manually slide the glass panel.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived