CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.9 waterpump

exedman

:huh: I'm about to have my waterpump replaced on Thursday with another "after market" pump that costs about $50. This one lasted about 12,000 miles, but the three previous ones only lasted about 2 or 3 thousand miles apiece and I believe they were NAPA. NAPA made good on a replacement pump or two and some mechanic money. My mechanic says that they are simply rebuilt pumps with new bearings and seals. Seems like sooner or later I'll get one that outlasts my 93 DeVille with 203,000 miles.

Exedman

Was going to put in another one from CarQuest today to replace the one I put in 11 months ago that I got from them. These are supposedly made by Airtex. Now I think maybe I'll give it back to them and get one from Caddy dealer to be on the safe side. Does this make sense? Am I getting smarter? But...if the CarQuest pumps really are made by Airtex, how would they differ from OEM?? Doesn't Airtex make the OEM pumps?

:huh: I'm about to have my waterpump replaced on Thursday with another "after market" pump that costs about $50. This one lasted about 12,000 miles, but the three previous ones only lasted about 2 or 3 thousand miles apiece and I believe they were NAPA. NAPA made good on a replacement pump or two and some mechanic money. My mechanic says that they are simply rebuilt pumps with new bearings and seals. Seems like sooner or later I'll get one that outlasts my 93 DeVille with 203,000 miles.

Exedman

I did a quick lookup on gmpartsdirect's site. They list 12369484 for both of your Cadillacs at $92.26 (+S&H).

For the amount of work involved in replacing the water pump, another $50 or so doesn't seem too bad a premium to pay for the peace of mind and longer life over a generic.

bbobynski has stated in previous posts that the OEM pump has a premium bearing which is indicated in the design setup. Aftermarket makers don't spend the money for the premium bearing. Although Airtex may have made them for the OEM market the number of short lived pumps reported here on the forum indicate that what they are selling aftermarket isn't the same quality.

I have a '88 Sedan Deville and I got my water pump replaced last July. My mechanic suggested that I should use the oem water-pump not the aftermarket one. He said that I would be back in 6 months for another water pump if I got the cheaper after market one, so of course I went with the oem installed and haven't had a problem since.

ByStorm

:huh: This pump is going to be another "freebie" and my mechanic has gotten really, really good at replacing them, so it will be about $60 or $70 in all. If I had it to do all over again, I would purchase an OEM... and in all likelyhood, I'll get that chance. I believe the OEM I priced last year was nearly $200 so I really appreciate the lead to get it for under $100.

An exception to OEM quality were rotors for my 88 DeVille. I got about 40K miles with aftermarket rotors and decided to spend big bucks and buy OEM. They lasted less than 20K miles. Now I don't even bother spending $20 to turn them down, but spend $40 apiece for new aftermarket.

Thanks for your input everyone!

• 3 years later...

Archived