CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Touch Up Paint Issue

dotbowels

Had a small yellow spot on trunk of car below the paint surface. Bought a bottle of touch up paint from Cadillac. Shook it real well and place thin dab on spot. It almost makes it look worse/more visible (like a big pimple or blob) that it was. I got a dark microfiber towel but it was already dry by the time I got back outside.

What are my options besides living with it? I don't want to damage the paint messing with it. I'm all left hands as it is & woulod appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance to all.

I just priced having my hood repainted because the aftermarket grill damaged it, the estimate was $500. I would imagine that your trunk is in the same ballpark

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

There are products out there that will remove excess touch up paint (laquer finishes) without damaging your factory paint.

One company is Langka products ... Google it ... I've used their Wetsand 2000 with great success.

I've also patiently worked away at the touchup blobs with diluted paint thinner. Basically, the blob is has a higher surface than the paint. If you're patient, you can save the $500 repaint and gain respectable results.

On my white pearl STS, I used paint thinner and polishing compounds on the touchup blobs, and the final blending yielded professional results.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Aloha,

If that blob is the right color, 2000 grit sandpaper will make it flush with the rest of the paint. Cut a small amount to fit on the head of a pencil. Glue it on the pencil. The next day, sand with that slowly until the blob is flat. I like to let the blob cure for about a week 'cause it could shrink some.

After you have it flat, use polishing compound (not rubbing) over the trunk to blend everything.

Good luck Ed

There are products out there that will remove excess touch up paint (laquer finishes) without damaging your factory paint.

One company is Langka products ... Google it ... I've used their Wetsand 2000 with great success.

I've also patiently worked away at the touchup blobs with diluted paint thinner. Basically, the blob is has a higher surface than the paint. If you're patient, you can save the $500 repaint and gain respectable results.

On my white pearl STS, I used paint thinner and polishing compounds on the touchup blobs, and the final blending yielded professional results.

Thanks will look into it :)

Aloha,

If that blob is the right color, 2000 grit sandpaper will make it flush with the rest of the paint. Cut a small amount to fit on the head of a pencil. Glue it on the pencil. The next day, sand with that slowly until the blob is flat. I like to let the blob cure for about a week 'cause it could shrink some.

After you have it flat, use polishing compound (not rubbing) over the trunk to blend everything.

Good luck Ed

Thanks appreciate everyones good suggestions

Archived