CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ABS Brakes

msb113

Hi Folks... New here and had a few questions and thought I would say hello :)

Came into a 91 Seville that has some ABS issues, about $1600 worth of issues :)

Brakes are fine but the ABS brakes engage on every stop, if i turn the car off and back on the ABS light comes on as it should and my braking is back to normal since the ABS has been disengaged by the computer.

Is there away for me to disable them manually and just do without them? I do remember how to drive a car without them as I did when I was younger ::

Thought there may be away to unplug a module or something? Any info would be greatly helpful.

Oh, one more thing... Do all Sevilles tend to ride lower in the rear than the front? Always looks like the car is leaning towards the rear. Any way to get her to raise her hind end any? I know they are air shocks in the rear but did not know if there was a way to tell the computer to raise it up an ich or so.

Thanks for any and all help and I am sure this will not be my last question :)

Thanks again,

Mark

Start by pulling the DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) from the onboard diagnostics. That will probably tell you what is wrong. You could probably pull the ABS fuse or a wheel speed sensor plug to disable it, but on the Northstar that will relegate you to second gear starts. I suspect it is the same on the 4.9.

The ELC (Electronic Level Control) is automatic and there is no way to tell it to raise. If it is low in the rear, the system is not functioning properly. You may have a DTC set for that as well.

Thank you for your reply

Pulling the fuse is a no go on the 91 seville as it is also the CCR fuse... If the ABS light is lit does that not mean that it has been disabled by the computer? If so it is in first gear staring out so I am not having an issue with a second gear start.

how would I go about pulling a speed sensor and how do I pull the codes?

Thank you again for your help

Mark

To enter diagnostic mode:

Turn ignition "ON."

Depress the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons on the Climate Control Center (CCC) simultaneously and hold until the segment check appears on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

Write down codes and post them here.

You car is equipped with the OBD I system, look here for your codes:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thank you for your reply,

It said no ECM codes

B120H

B122H

B123H

B332H

B334H

B335H

B336H

B337H

B552H

R025

The it did ECM?

Seems to look like a history code?

Does this shed any light on anything :)

Thanks again

Mark

B122 Panel Lamp Dimming Pot Circuit Problem

B123

B132? Oil Pressure Sensor Failure

B332 ABS/TCS Serial Communication Failure

B334 Loss of Electronic Control Module (ECM) Data

B355

B335? Loss of Climate Control Driver Information Center (CCDIC) Data

B336 Loss of Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)Data

B337 Loss of Programmer Data [A/C Clutch, Parking Brake Release]

B552 BCM Memory Reset Indicator

R025 Initiator Circuit Short to Ignition

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

B122 Panel Lamp Dimming Pot Circuit Problem

B123

B132? Oil Pressure Sensor Failure

B332 ABS/TCS Serial Communication Failure

B334 Loss of Electronic Control Module (ECM) Data

B355

B335? Loss of Climate Control Driver Information Center (CCDIC) Data

B336 Loss of Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)Data

B337 Loss of Programmer Data [A/C Clutch, Parking Brake Release]

B552 BCM Memory Reset Indicator

R025 Initiator Circuit Short to Ignition

Sorry it was not 355 it was B335H and I did not have a B132 but did forget B120H

Now what does all this mean lol

Mark

Can anyone tell me how to disable the ABS and if this will make the car start out in second gear?

Why the car would start out in second gear does make any sense to me anyway as this has nothing to do with the trans and If they built it to do that, that is just plain stupid... any one else remember when cars had manual steering and no ABS... I do and I am still kickin'

I mean is there a wire I can just snip to disengage the ABS?

Thanks again

The car will start in second gear if traction control is disabled.

This is to protect the transmission, and perhaps with the view that the times you actually want traction control disable, such as when on gravel or ice, you also would benefit from a second gear start.

Bruce

The car will start in second gear if traction control is disabled.

This is to protect the transmission, and perhaps with the view that the times you actually want traction control disable, such as when on gravel or ice, you also would benefit from a second gear start.

So in other words there is no way to disable the ABS?

If the ABS light is lit up does that mean it is disabled and if so does that mean the car is starting out in 2nd gear? Because it does not feel like it.

Thanks again

well, ABS<>Traction Control; ABS is antilock braking system. However, the Traction Control system (TCS) interacts with the ABS.

In this case, I was thinking that whatever the ABS problem is, it could be tripping the TCS offline also, and cause a 2nd gear start.

If you are not experiencing a 2nd gear start, then never mind.

ABS automatically disables itself when it is not working. Your braking performance can be diminished.

I don't know of a way to disable ABS AND not have the trouble codes show up if that is what you mean.

Bruce

Basically what is happening is if the ABS light is not on when I first start the car and go, when I start to break and get to very low speed like 5 mph I hear a slight buzzing noise and the break pedal vibrates a little.

I can then turn the car off and restart it and when I put it back in gear the ABS light is on and my car breaks as normal but without the noise and pedal vibration.

The previuos owner said that it would be about $1500 to fix it... dont think the car is worth throwing that into it, but was also told by the dealer or mechanic that this is not effecting the breaking at all.

Maybe someone has an opinion as to what it may be?

Mark

Brakes are fine but the ABS brakes engage on every stop, if i turn the car off and back on the ABS light comes on as it should and my braking is back to normal since the ABS has been disengaged by the computer.

Is there away for me to disable them manually and just do without them? I do remember how to drive a car without them as I did when I was younger ::

Thought there may be away to unplug a module or something? Any info would be greatly helpful.

Oh, one more thing... Do all Sevilles tend to ride lower in the rear than the front? Always looks like the car is leaning towards the rear. Any way to get her to raise her hind end any? I know they are air shocks in the rear but did not know if there was a way to tell the computer to raise it up an ich or so.

Thanks again,

Mark

There is a ground right on the ABS module. If you disconnect it, the ECM will turn the ABS off, since it will not get correct vltage (ANS light will be on all the time, you can cover it with electrical tape if you want to). BTW, you got way too many codes - sure indication of poor electrical connections. Check the battery cables, connections, grounds etc. There is a ground behind right headlight, G105 if I remember correctly. Check it out, it is responsible for ABS among other things.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks again,

Mark

There is a ground right on the ABS module. If you disconnect it, the ECM will turn the ABS off, since it will not get correct vltage (ANS light will be on all the time, you can cover it with electrical tape if you want to). BTW, you got way too many codes - sure indication of poor electrical connections. Check the battery cables, connections, grounds etc. There is a ground behind right headlight, G105 if I remember correctly. Check it out, it is responsible for ABS among other things.

Thank you very much... I will look into it... I did just replace the alternator?

Could you guide ,e a little to where the ABS Box is?

Thank you again for your time

Mark

Thanks again,

Mark

Thank you very much... I will look into it... I did just replace the alternator?

Could you guide ,e a little to where the ABS Box is?

Thank you again for your time

Mark

Mark,

There should be four brake lines leaving the brake master cylinder reservoir (there you add brake liquid) for ABS hydraulic modulator. There is a black box by the hydraulic modulator with an electrical cable attached to it. On a side of that box you will see a single wire attached. That's ground. Once again, check all your grounds and cables. Make sure you reinstalled the alternator properly, there should be a ground by the alternator as well as far as I remember. It's better to find a fault and keep ABS functioning.

Basically what is happening is if the ABS light is not on when I first start the car and go, when I start to break and get to very low speed like 5 mph I hear a slight buzzing noise and the break pedal vibrates a little.

I can then turn the car off and restart it and when I put it back in gear the ABS light is on and my car breaks as normal but without the noise and pedal vibration.

The previuos owner said that it would be about $1500 to fix it... dont think the car is worth throwing that into it, but was also told by the dealer or mechanic that this is not effecting the breaking at all.

Maybe someone has an opinion as to what it may be?

Mark

Yes, ABS hydraulik modulator is about $1,500 at dealer. Th edealer is not interested in fixing say, a ground wire/connection. They would rather replace the ABS to charge you as much as possible for the "fix". You also might want to remove the ABS module cover (two torx screws) and reconnect several times th econnector . It may help to clean the connections.

When the ABS light is ON, your ABS is disabled, and your brakes work as if there is no ABS. You can live with it, but the problem may not the ABS module itself, but rather bad electrical connections. It is a 15 years old car remember.

Thank you for all your help, It is much appreciated and I will check all that you have said to do.

I am out of town at the moment but will be returning tomorrow and will check it out.

Will post back with what I find :)

Thank you all again :)

Mark

If you find you need to replace yours might find one here:

http://www.car-parts.com

Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

MSB..........If you indeed find out your ABS module is

bad there are a couple of ABS module rebuilders over at e-bay.

Do a search over there for "abs rebuild".

The cost is $135 to $175 shipping included. Much cheaper

than a $1000 + ABS replacement cost at the dealer.

Quite a few guys on the GM truck forums report that they

have used this method and have had good results

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Thank you very much for that info, I will indeed check that out if I can find this darn little thing :)

I have looked for this little black plastic module by the break reservoir but cannot find it, also It looks like I only have 2 break lines coming from the reservoir and not 4 as instructed to look for.

Am I not looking in the right place? I mean I know where to add break fluid... am I just gettin stupid or blind? lol

Any one have a diagram or a crude sketch to get me through this?

Thanks again all for your time

Mark

Thank you very much for that info, I will indeed check that out if I can find this darn little thing :)

I have looked for this little black plastic module by the break reservoir but cannot find it, also It looks like I only have 2 break lines coming from the reservoir and not 4 as instructed to look for.

Am I not looking in the right place? I mean I know where to add break fluid... am I just gettin stupid or blind? lol

Any one have a diagram or a crude sketch to get me through this?

Thanks again all for your time

Mark

Sorry, my fault... Two brake lines go from the master cylinder reservoir to the ABS hydraulic modulator and four lines from modulator to brakes... See the picture.

post-312-1150860153_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the help on my ABS issue... could not track down a bad ground anywhere but was able to disable the ABS by removing the ground and all is just fine.

I do have another question though but it is about struts for the front end... 91 Seville

I checked with Boston Stuts but they told me they do not carry replacements nor passive for my car.

What kind of passive struts can or should I go with and do i need any electrical device to disable the CCR message that I will receive when changed out, or can the message be delt with through the the control center?

I did find a set from Strut Master for $260 and also had a local garage tell me $320 for the struts, install and allignment, but did not find out the maker of the struts.

Any info would be great and thank you all again for the help all ready received :)

Mark

Thanks all for the help on my ABS issue... could not track down a bad ground anywhere but was able to disable the ABS by removing the ground and all is just fine.

I do have another question though but it is about struts for the front end... 91 Seville

I checked with Boston Stuts but they told me they do not carry replacements nor passive for my car.

What kind of passive struts can or should I go with and do i need any electrical device to disable the CCR message that I will receive when changed out, or can the message be delt with through the the control center?

I did find a set from Strut Master for $260 and also had a local garage tell me $320 for the struts, install and allignment, but did not find out the maker of the struts.

Any info would be great and thank you all again for the help all ready received :)

Mark

Mark,

I have disabled CCR message in minutes using info posted by Logan (one of our fine members).

I assume you know how to enter diagnostics mode by pressing simultaneously Warmer and OFF and then chosing BCM override.

"1991 Eldorado and Seville with Computer Command Ride (CCR): Refer to the Service Manual page 8D-12. Set the BCM override value BS09 to 0 by using the warmer and cooler buttons. Store this value by pressing the Econ button on the climate control panel and the Instant Econ button on the Fuel Data/Drivers Information Center for about five seconds. The new value will be stored even through the indicator does not flash. Remove the key from the ignition. Disconnect both battery cables from the battery. When both cables have been disconnected, touch the ends of the cables together and hold for five seconds. This will discharge the capacitors in the system and allow the system to perform properly when the battery cables are reconnected. Advise the customer they will have to reset all radio stations and clock."

I also cut off all the wires on the rear struts and isolated them with a tape.

BTW, my ABS light is ON all the time, and I was not able to find the problem either ... All grounds and connections are fine and there were no "blinking" ABS codes stored to work with.

Mark

I have disabled CCR message in minutes using info posted by Logan (one of our fine members).

Mark,

I assume you know how to enter diagnostics mode by pressing simultaneously Warmer and OFF and then chosing BCM override.

"1991 Eldorado and Seville with Computer Command Ride (CCR): Refer to the Service Manual page 8D-12. Set the BCM override value BS09 to 0 by using the warmer and cooler buttons. Store this value by pressing the Econ button on the climate control panel and the Instant Econ button on the Fuel Data/Drivers Information Center for about five seconds. The new value will be stored even through the indicator does not flash. Remove the key from the ignition. Disconnect both battery cables from the battery. When both cables have been disconnected, touch the ends of the cables together and hold for five seconds. This will discharge the capacitors in the system and allow the system to perform properly when the battery cables are reconnected. Advise the customer they will have to reset all radio stations and clock."

I also cut off all the wires on the struts and isolared them with a tape.

BTW, my ABS light is ON all the time, and I was not able to find the problem either ... All grounds and connections are fine and there were no "blinking" ABS codes stored to work with.

Thank you for that info... Now if I can only figure out what struts to go with I will be half way there :)

Any opinion on struts?

Thanks again

Mark

Mark

Mark,

I also cut off all the wires on the struts and isolared them with a tape.

Thank you for that info... Now if I can only figure out what struts to go with I will be half way there :)

Any opinion on struts?

Thanks again

Mark

Try Monroe. I have not done mine though. BTW, you can disable CCR annoying message anytime (before replacing the original struts).

Archived