CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stereo Problem

The radio in my car works great for FM, and plays CD's just fine, but the AM reception is virtually non-existant. Does this sound like a head unit issue?

Charles

You might check the rear antennae cable connection. It's comes out of the back of the headliner near the top edge of the glass. If loose that would could cause loss of signal.

AM reception issues can be boiled down to receiver antenna configuration and distance from the transmitter antenna. And you have no control over the receiver antenna design.

Because the antennas in your model year are buried in the front and rear glass, the best you can hope for is a compromise for AM reception.

I live within 35 miles of AM stations licensed for maximum transmitter power and there are times and places where their signal gets lost in the noise simply because my car happens to be facing the "wrong" direction.

Try using a portable AM receiver inside your car as a test.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks for the replies! I was looking at the link Bruce posted in another thread, and found a GM bulletin saying that the head units were modified and changes to the tuner circuitry were made. The have remanufactured part numbers for the head units to correct bad AM reception. I don't think I am willing to pay full price for a reman unit, however.

Charles

Charles

Archived