CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 STS

LINDAL

I have an oil leak at the back of the car. Walmart changes my oil and said it was back where a bearing is. Anyone know what that could be?

I also have the Switch problem with the brake fluid and brake light coming on and then it goes off. Oh, it also says traction disabled when this happens.

I saw some info on here somewhere about a line from the brake pedal that needs plugged in or cleaned. Where are the lines exactly? Inside the car or under the hood?

I tried to tell my husband about this and he just looks at me and asks where are the lines exactly???

Thanks,

Linda

brake fluid leak ???

No Brake fluid level is fine. I think the Line to the brake pedal needs hooked up or cleaned or something to get the switch problem to clear and read the fluid level =.

The car is leaking oil, so I asked the guys to put it back on the rack at walmart and let me know where it is leaking. They did it and said that the leak is at the back of the car not at the oil pan. He said somehting about a bearing and to keep driving it and it will get worse. Just watch the oil level. I have to put a quart in every 300-350 miles now. I was wondering what that bearing would be and what expense and trouble to repair such a thing.

On the 95 STS, the engine and transmission are in the front of the car. It is a front wheel drive car.

Could the mechanic have meant that the oil leak was at the rear of the engine? Or was it clear he meant the rear of the car?

The engine oil does not even get routed to the rear of the STS, so a leak at the rear of the car seems unlikely to be an engine oil leak.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

No, brake fluid level is always fine. We have stopped on the hiway to check it when it goes on. The brake pedal is fine. Stops fine, except for it wears brake pads out on the front drivers side faster than the others. I think we need to have the rotor lathed or whatever that is called. It seems kinda bumpy when you put on the brakes. Not bad but I can tell it has a problem. I can deal with it.

Now the oil level does go down. The Check oil level light comes on about every 300 to 400 miles. About every gas fill up it needs oil. The car didn't use any oil when we first got it. It has oil under the car when it sets in the driveway. So, we know it has a leak. I just called my husband who talked with the guy at Walmart who looked up under there for us and he said it was a rear seal?? I am not sure they knew what they were looking for. We just figured since he was up under there who could maybe tell where it was coming from. I guess more investigation is in order for the oil leak.

Now the switch problem I found on another post yesterday I think. I will search for it again.

Thanks

Linda,

You are not being very clear, but here is what I get out of it. If you are leaking a qt. every 300 - 350 miles, that is a bad leak and it should be very evident where it is leaking from as I suspect you'd have a puddle under the car. Perhaps they where talking about the main bearing seal at the rear of the engine? One the other hand, it may be a combination of leaking and burning oil, the sum of which equalls a qt. every 300 miles.

How do you know you have a brake switch problem? What light comes on? Any messages, such as check brake fluid level? Have you pulled the DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) from the onboard diagnostics yet?

Anytime there is a brake problem, the T/C gets disabled. I think the brake plug or cleaning you are talking about is the wheel speed sensor on the back side of each wheel hub, but that is only if there is a wheel speed sensor code or a T/C disabled message. Your problem seems to have something to do with the brakes which inturn disabled the T/C.

See if you can give us a little more info to work with.

The Switch Problem, Check Brake Fluid, Traction disabled, the brake light (red) comes on. They all go off and sometimes come back on again. They don't stay on.

Obviously, check the brake fluid level. If that is OK, then I would suspect the fluid level switch in the side of the master cylinder reserviour, but before replacing it, be sure it is pluged in tight and the connections are clean.

This is from another post in May 04. It sounds like the same thing mine is doing and this was the suggestion:

"Hey STS Scott and McMasterson, I have a 95 Eldo ETC with the same DIC "Traction Disabled" message. There are actually 2 switches in front of the brake pedal, the lowest one is for your brake lights, the higher one is your Traction Control/Cruise Control switch. Adjust the top switch for the traction control."

I was wondering how to get to the switches to adjust them. I won't be doing it, but I will sure print it out and get my husband to do it.

Linda

Those two switches are at the top of the brake pedal. Just follow the arm that the pedal is mounted to upwards. That said, neither of those switches have anything to do with fluid level. They rae to light the brake lights and disengage the cruise when the brake pedal is pressed.

• 2 months later...

Finally got the husband to pull the plug out and clean it for the brake light and the switch problem message. It has not come back on for 2 weeks now.

Just thought I would update this and let you know that the suggestion of cleaning the plug worked!!

The oil leak has subsided. I had the oil changed and started letting my husband drive it to get the carbons out. And I also have been using the pennzoil for higher mileage. I still have to add every a quart every 2 or 3 tanks of gas. It seems to be a lot less often. Not sure exactly which one worked but the combination seems to be working for me.

I still have the tail light problem. No tail lights dash lights or shifter lights. I have an appointment at the mechanic for Sept 20th. I have to have tail lights to get home from work safely when the time changes. It probably is something simple but I can't figure it out and my husband just doesn't have time right now.

I am still looking for that perfect Deville for me! I keep getting close to buying one and it is sold before I make up my mind. I guess I haven't found the right one yet.

We will be keeping the STS for my husband to use. He has to take his mother and brother to Dr appts all the time. My husband drives a F250 Diesel super duty Crew Cab. It isn't the best for a 84 year old woman (his mother) to climb in and out of. It is great for pulling a horse trailer though.

Linda

Archived