CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Question about recommended fuel for 06 DTS

dotbowels

Question about recommended fuel for non-performance engine 06 DTS. Why in 2003 did they recommend the regular unleaded and the premium for the 06? The engines look so similar. What am I missing?

2006 (non-performance model)

Engine, 4.6L DOHC V8 Northstar (275 HP [205.1 kW] @ 5200 rpm, 292 lb.-ft. [394.2 N-m] @ 4400 rpm)

The recommended fuel for the 2006 Cadillac DTS is premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You may also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced, and you may notice a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock. Unfortunately ethanol cannot be used in the engine of the DTS.

2003 DHS

4.6L V8 TPI DOHC 32V

275 horsepower in the DHS and DeVille

DHS 275 hp @ 5600 and 300 lb-ft of torque @ 4000 rpm is standard

May use regular unleaded or ethanol with 87 octane or higher

Yes, the 2003 specs still said 87 octane; 2004 said 91 octane or better, and continued after that. I am not sure that anything changed exactly, since a big part of the redesign in 2000 was to allow 87 octane. It is surprising that they suggest it may knock on 87.

I think the engine always ran better on 91+. The PCM can recognize if you use 87 octane and remove some timing as needed.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Yes, the 2003 specs still said 87 octane; 2004 said 91 octane or better, and continued after that. I am not sure that anything changed exactly, since a big part of the redesign in 2000 was to allow 87 octane. It is surprising that they suggest it may knock on 87.

I think the engine always ran better on 91+. The PCM can recognize if you use 87 octane and remove some timing as needed.

I'm only getting around 16.5 mpg in town using 87 octane reg unleaded. Was getting 20 easy on my 03 DHS, kind of frustrating.

Archived