CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 Eldo Electrical

flatback2

I get the wierd ones. Sunday I noticed that when I started the Caddy it was a little weak. Cranked slow but started. On Monday same deal but now everytime I start the car the Trunk Opens and Gas Cap Door Opens, (I get out and close it and drive). Starts everytime but still weak. Dashboard flashes about 9.8 on the volts but pops up to 13.8 volts when started. I say battery is going or alternator not charging, but why does the trunk open with the gas door ?

If I were you, I would have the battery load tested right now. You have used up several of your limited number of early warning symptoms on a failing battery.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If I were you, I would have the battery load tested right now. You have used up several of your limited number of early warning symptoms on a failing battery.

is that the early warning system ? the trunk opening with the gas door ? My fancy dashboard computer should just say "battery going dead"

Well, let's expand on that just a little to explore the possiblilities. In addition to "battery going dead", we could have a message for "corroded battery terminals detected" and "RF wheel lug nuts not torqued properly" and "Slow Down, Fool". But we don't have these messages either.

I have no idea why your trunk and gas door open. Maybe the predicatable global warming cycle is involved here.

But for sure, the early warning I was referring to is the "Cranked slow but started".

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

These cars do weird things when the battery voltage is low, as you have noticed. The trunk release and gas door release are electric, and the low voltage is wreaking havoc with the systems. A new battery is in order. I think it is demonstrated by the 9.8 volts before the engine is running and then jumping up to 13.8 volts when the alternator starts working.

Charles

Charles

The trunk release and gas door are symptoms of low electric - i have a 98 and when that happens, I clean the battery contacts well, and all is well for awhile. Seems to be required every 6 months or so.

• 2 months later...

Update, I still have not changed the battery and the car still never fails to start. Same symptoms I posted in June and it's been three months. I cleaned the cables at the battery side very well and still have the issue. I figure if it was indeed the battery it would have died by now. Any other idea or thing I should check

9.8 volts is way too low, prior to starting.....

You are GAMBLING.... and one day, it won't start, and you'll be stranded somewhere.....

Do yourself a favor and get a new battery.....

I have seen a 1999 Grand AM do the same thing... the trunk opened.

It needed a battery.

You will have to buy a battery some time.

Putting it off is not saving you anything and lord knows what will happen in the meantime.

Find out if the alt is good before putting a fresh battery in.

The trunk release and gas door are symptoms of low electric - i have a 98 and when that happens, I clean the battery contacts well, and all is well for awhile. Seems to be required every 6 months or so.

Autozone sells some gunk you can put on the battery terminals.. it's 99 cents.

Put it in the threads and in between everything on the terminals and contacts.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Get a battery. There's probably a dead cell in it. It could limp along for a while. Then when it's snowing out, and you're all by yourself, and forgot your cell phone at home, it won't start.

I made the mistake of replacing my battery last year with another lead-acid battery. I HAD to have the ACDelco battery, but in reality, those lead-acid side post batteries don't tend to retain the acid very well. Terminal corrosion is what often results. For $20 more, you can get a gel battery (like an Optima). My brother put one in his Corvette last year, after buying a new lead-acid battery when he first got the car a few years ago. The terminals kept corroding and, taking what I learned on this board and from my own experiences, I suggested he try an Optima. It stays completely dry on the outside and works wonderfully.

Unfortunately, with our side posts, acid sometimes "leaks" out of the side terminals and corrodes the cables. Then you have to clean them and tighten them down some more for a good contact. That can start to "pull" the terminals out of the battery, and make the corrosion worse. It's a spiral effect.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

It's apparent to everyone here that your battery is recycling fodder.

If you have reason to think otherwise, could you please let us in on the secret?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

It should be possible for the sharp minds here to think up some reward for those problem posters who close the loop with feedback on the remedy.

Or, punishment for those who do not.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jason and all,

Jason's comments below, on side terminal liquid acid filled batteries are right on the mark. I have been on a personal mission for several years to get people to get rid of those leakers. I don't think any brand is immune to side post leakage. All of the cars in my care have been using Optima type (sealed cell) technology for some time now.

In my opinion, side terminal batteries should be placed on the biggest recall in history!

They are a BAAAaaaaD!

Jim in Phoenix, the battery test capitol of the world!

I made the mistake of replacing my battery last year with another lead-acid battery. I HAD to have the ACDelco battery, but in reality, those lead-acid side post batteries don't tend to retain the acid very well. Terminal corrosion is what often results. For $20 more, you can get a gel battery (like an Optima). My brother put one in his Corvette last year, after buying a new lead-acid battery when he first got the car a few years ago. The terminals kept corroding and, taking what I learned on this board and from my own experiences, I suggested he try an Optima. It stays completely dry on the outside and works wonderfully.

Unfortunately, with our side posts, acid sometimes "leaks" out of the side terminals and corrodes the cables. Then you have to clean them and tighten them down some more for a good contact. That can start to "pull" the terminals out of the battery, and make the corrosion worse. It's a spiral effect.

Jim in Phoenix

Scrap the ridiculous new battery idea. :rolleyes: I'd just duct tape your trunk and fuel door shut...problem solved. ;):P:o:lol:

Sometimes a solution can become over-engineered, and then a fresh voice arises to point out the obvious . . . . :D:D:D

Duct tape wins again!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Scrap the ridiculous new battery idea. :rolleyes: I'd just duct tape your trunk and fuel door shut...problem solved. ;):P:o:lol:

Sometimes a solution can become over-engineered, and then a fresh voice arises to point out the obvious . . . . :D:D:D

Duct tape wins again!

Ya, especially with the new TRANSPARENT duct tape -

The problem with running around with a half-working battery is that it can run your alternator ragged, and then you have to install a new alternator too - and that gets expensive.

Coolness, I was thinking the exact same thing, a dead cell will over work the alternator and he will soon need an alternator. I can't claim credit for this photo Regis sent it to me, to show another use for duck tape! :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Jason is exactly right...

Corvette C5 owners live in fear of leaking batteries, because all the electrical wiring in the car passes right below the battery... when battery acid gets on that, it's a nightmare.

The Optima battery is the solution. It's full of Jelly, not water, and it's made better, and doesn't leak....

If you have a store called Farm & Fleet in your area, they sell the Optima series about as reasonable as I've seen... You can also try Catalog places like Corvette Central, if you're not finding any in your area....

Optima is all I buy....

BbF is also correct, the bad battery puts a big load on the alternator, and kills that too... that's why you start with a new battery, and then go from there.....

This can be avoided / eliminated by using the correct torque value on the battery bolts; 13 lb ft (156 lb in).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Update, I still have not changed the battery and the car still never fails to start. Same symptoms I posted in June and it's been three months. I cleaned the cables at the battery side very well and still have the issue. I figure if it was indeed the battery it would have died by now. Any other idea or thing I should check

Just wondering why you ask for help, then go three months without taking any advice.

You are not the type of person that should drive one of these cars.

What you think is a small thing, like a battery, will do more damage in the long run!

If you don't want to take our advice on here, there are other forums that will play your game.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

• 2 weeks later...

well I guess you'll all be glad to know the car will not start, I wish everyone had chimed in about "doing more damage" in the beginning, anyway, I was curious to see how long it would go before it died thats why I didn't fix it right away, I DO VALUE THE OPINIONS I GET HERE, as for not being worthy to own a Caddy after owning 4 you are probably right, could be time for a Benz NOT thanks I'll let you know how the new battery is

Well against all advice here I got a new Diehard Gold Battery $92 :blink: A check by a Sears Authorized Technician of the systems ($12) goes as follows : drain test ok, charging system ok, battery cables ok. Car Starts :D and Battery Volts are 13.3 running normal with A/C and Radio on. In the driveway at idle with everything on lights, wipers, ac , etc the volts dropped as low as 11.8 when I retracted the moonroof. Is this swing an indication of other issues ??

PS thanks for putting up with me and Sears does not make an Optima type battery for this car yet or I would have followed your advice THANKS

Archived