CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cradle Droppers

OynxSTS

I'm looking for some help from anyone who has dropped the Engine Cradle on a 98-04 STS or equivalent Eldo/Seville/Deville. I have read on this forum, in the service manual and elsewhere that it is NOT required to remove the axles from the wheels (Hubs)... to drop the engine/transaxle cradle...

Here is my question... I need to replace the axel seal on the LH side of my transmission. The service guide says that I need to disconnect/remove the (abridged list, not in order):

1) Wheel

2) Tie rod end

3) Lower ball joint

4) stabilizer rod

5) The sensors associated with the CVRSS (on that wheel)

The service manual then goes on to detail how to remove the axel nut and install the puller to press the axel from the hub... is this required???

Once I have my front suspension "loose" isn't there enough room to yank out the axel?

Isn't this how you do it to drop the cradle?

Thanks.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I

Once I have my front suspension "loose" isn't there enough room to yank out the axel?

Isn't this how you do it to drop the cradle?

Thanks.

When you drop the cradle you do not loosen the suspension. It stays attached to the cradle. Only the top of the strut is loose and that doesn't give enough room to pull the axle.

Here was the photo Ian posted that showed the powertrain on the operating table, with struts and hubs attached:

IPB Image

These newer Cadillac's are quite amazing in their design of the powertrain module. It took me about 1 hr and 20 minutes to get this assembly out of the vehicle and onto the repair bench

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

If all you are going to do is to replace the tranny axle seal, you don't have to remove the cradle. When I did mine, I removed items 2,3,4,5 and I did not loosen the strut from the strut tower. I then popped the drive axle from the transmission and with a little difficulty, moved it out of the way. Be careful not to allow the cv joints to disengage. They suggest removing the hub in order to remove the entire drive axle but I found that that wasn't necessary. Removing the seal was the hard part. How many kilometers on you 02 STS.

If all you are going to do is to replace the tranny axle seal, you don't have to remove the cradle. When I did mine, I removed items 2,3,4,5 and I did not loosen the strut from the strut tower. I then popped the drive axle from the transmission and with a little difficulty, moved it out of the way. Be careful not to allow the cv joints to disengage. They suggest removing the hub in order to remove the entire drive axle but I found that that wasn't necessary. Removing the seal was the hard part. How many kilometers on you 02 STS.

Sorry that my original post was confusing... I'm not planning on dropping the cradle. I was wondering if the axle could be removed from the tranny with the from hubs still attached. I have read of people who have drop the cradle and did not disconnect the struts.

Where I work we have a completely stocked works yard that services our equipment fleet (mostly HD trucks) and the manager there is a great guy that let me borrow what ever I want over weekends as long as I sign them out...

I guess my real question was should I borrow the axle puller or not... based on the responses and since I have access to the tool.. I'm going to press the axle out of the hub.

My 02 has 65,000 miles on her... just before the warranty expired the dealer replaced both front hubs. I suspect, but have no way to prove, that they nicked the seal when they re&re'd the axle.

How difficult are the axles to pull out of the tranny? The service guide talks about a horseshoe shaped attachment for the slide hammer..

Why was the seal hard to get out? Did you use a Slide Hammer here too?

caddy.jpg

Greg

Here was the photo Ian posted that showed the powertrain on the operating table, with struts and hubs attached:

IPB Image

These newer Cadillac's are quite amazing in their design of the powertrain module. It took me about 1 hr and 20 minutes to get this assembly out of the vehicle and onto the repair bench

Great Photo Bruce

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I used an old wood chisel to pry up the flange and pry out the seal. When I was done, there wasn't much of it left. Stupid statement but don't forget to either drain tranny or be ready to collect fluid when you pop off the axle. As I said earlier, I didn't pull off the hub but in reading some of the recent posts on removing hubs maybe it would be a good idea so that when the day comes to replace a wheel bearing, everything won't be seized.

Sorry, I forgot to answer about removing the axle. I used a small pinch bar or crow bar. I slipped in from the bottom between the tranny case and the axle and gave it a quick sharp jerk and out it pops. I've done it many times with no problem. Only caution is to be careful not to damage the tranny seal but since you're replacing it anyways it really doesn't matter.

I used an old wood chisel to pry up the flange and pry out the seal. When I was done, there wasn't much of it left.

Sorry, I forgot to answer about removing the axle. I used a small pinch bar or crow bar. I slipped in from the bottom between the tranny case and the axle and gave it a quick sharp jerk and out it pops. I've done it many times with no problem. Only caution is to be careful not to damage the tranny seal but since you're replacing it anyways it really doesn't matter.

THANK YOU... Just what I needed to know... I love this site!

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived