CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ye Olde Water Pump

Jeff

Well, I dropped $36.00 on a water pump removal tool. (To replace a $5.00 seal...)

Anyway- got it home slapped it on the pump- twisted, grunted, twisted, grunted, twisted, grunted, twisted, grunted, twisted, grunted, twisted, grunted, twisted, grunted, ... :angry:

And SLIP!!! :blink:

Now the "grooves" that the tool is supposed to catch and turn are chewed up, rounded off and pretty much gone. What is this stuff, aluminum?? :huh:

Any amount of pressure now and... SLIP! So my question is:

How do I destroy this pump to get it out without destroying the housing?? Has anyone ever got one of these out WITHOUT a tool and with no lip to catch to turn it? I took a screwdriver and WITH MY HAND just pushed one of the little L shaped tabs that stick out from it, and it just bent over flat! Dang aluminum crap!

Can anyone tell me what to do besides scream like a little girl and run?

Thanks again-

Jeff

My '94 GM Service Manual says you need to remove four Water Pump Housing Assembly bolts. Did you do that? I presume you have the same set up.

Are you trying to turn it off the wrong way? It comes off clockwise and on counter clockwise which is backwards from the normal "lefty loosey". I used a ratchet with a 2'-0 pipe extention with steady pressure and it finally came off. I do not know if a cold chisel and hammer would help or not at this point.

No - it is not aluminum... As Paul said, you need to turn it CLOCKWISE to remove the pump. If you attempted to turn it the wrong way, you may have bent the flanges on the pump retainer piece that the tool engages. If that is the case, you will need to straighten the tabs and then it should come out.

If you were turning it the proper direction (clockwise) and it slips, try an air impact wrench - I used that technique on a '95 Olds Aurora a few years back. That car had the most neglected cooling system I have EVER seen....the coolant was a greyish-green instead of bright green and many of the stamped hose connectors were all corroded from the inside. The tool kept slipping off but once I used the impact wrench, it popped right out.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yes- I went clockwise. Top of the pump toward the firewall??

I'll try the impact wrench- didn't know if I should, but since you mention it, I'll give it a go.

Thanks again for the input.

B) I'LL BE BACK!

Jeff

The housing itself is aluminum, but the water pump cartridge you're trying to remove is steel. There's probably some "galvanic adhesion" there (engineers, please correct my term), especially if this is the first time the pump has been removed.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I guess it is becoming obvious now, but I also used an impact wrench to remove my water pump. Just make sure you engage the wrench very well BEFORE you hit it with the wrench. It shouldn't take much to rattle it loose. It doesn't seem to need much torque, just the rattling to loosen it.

Yes- I went clockwise. Top of the pump toward the firewall??

What do you mean by "top of the pump toward firewall'?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I think he means he turned the wrench from the top (12:00) toward the firewall (3:00) or clockwise.

Ranger,

Thanks, I forgot the Northstar's waterpump was on the wrong side of the engine. :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

• 2 weeks later...

Well, fellas-

I can't get it to move with an impact either! Someone else is going to have to try this one.

But I got new problems now. Join me in my new post, will you? And thanks again-

Jeff

Archived