CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Editing Posts

Hi Bruce,

I was wondering if it's possible to allow us to have more of an opportunity to edit posts. For example, today after I posted a new topic about installing a hub assembly. When I came back to the site and read the responses and my initial post, I notice a pretty silly typo. I would have liked to correct the typo but since I couldn’t enter into the edit mode the typo can't be corrected.

Mike

The purpose of the edit control is to keep some bad actors from going through and deleting posts out of

spite. So we need some control, but it was probably too tight before. What do you suggest?

Here's the changes I made based on your pointing it out:

Registered Users previously got 30 min of edit time after post; I have increased that to 1 hour.

Supporters previously got 30 min of edit time after post; I have increased that to 6 hours.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Whatever you feel is appropriate. I don’t know the intricacies involving people deleting their own posts. However, there have been rare occasions when someone may want to amend their post to avoid embarrassment, such as when their position is proven to be incorrect.

I’m just the type that doesn’t like typos and I try to avoid them whenever possible. I use a spell checker but sometimes it doesn’t catch everything. The post I’m speaking of is one that I read a few times before I posted, but yet, I missed a typo being the word “gook,” which should have been “good.” :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce, I would suggest the original poster ONLY be able edit his/her own posts with no time limit. If one is necessary, then 24 hrs perhaps.

Only the original poster (or an Admin/Moderator) can edit posts.

The problem was a disgruntled poster could go through and edit ALL of their posts to "Deleted by Poster" or whatever. So after a period the poster gets locked out from editing.

I'll modify it out to 12H for Registered, 24H for Supporters.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 1 month later...

I would like to be able to go in right away and edit typos without triggering the "this post has been edited" thing that brands edited posts..

Also, it would be good to just simply not have a time limit on editing but to not allow one to edit more than 2% of the post or delete it after five minutes.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Oh I see

You sure do allow alot of features for free though

That is a good way to keep members

Another forum I saw, heck you even had to pay to have an avatar or to search the forum. And then the guy would complain about the site not being profitable... go figure

You, keep up the good work there. :)

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Archived