CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Fuel System

Jeff

Howdy guys-

it's been a while...

My SLS started leaking water, and I had to let it sit for a couple of weeks- no time to look at it...

Today I went to find the leak and I tried to crank it and it just spins and spins and spins. It acts like it's out of gas. I AM almost on empty. :rolleyes:

But I noticed when I turned on the key, the dash said, "SERVICE FUEL SYSTEM"- Never saw that before. What meaneth this?

Thanks again-

Jeff

OK- Got it...

P0231 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Low

Could that be a low battery, since it has been sitting. Not enough voltage??

Two things to check in the fuse/relay box under the rear seat cushion while the battery is charging.

The 20 A fuse labled "F/PMP Fuse 1" and the relay labled "Fuel Pump Relay". An open fuse or a failed relay will set your code.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks-

You say UNDER THE REAR SEAT? Which side and how do I get to it? I thought mine was under the hood. :huh:

Jeff

Whoops.... wrong model year. I have no idea where you will find the fuse and relay or even if the names will be the same. But there will be a fuse and a relay.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Good- that makes sense! I see the relay and the fuses under the hood over the drivers side wheel well. I'll check them. If it's neither, do you think it may have just been low voltage from a drained battery? I've charged the battery, but right now, I'm in the middle of a water pump change so I haven't been able to try it again. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks-

Jeff

I think that the fuel pump relay and AC relay are both located on the drivers side wheel well. Also they are identical. This may be useful for diagnosis. Check the fuse and the relay to confirm that they are both good.

Turn the ignition on but don't turn over the engine. Does the fuel pump run for 2 seconds and then stop? If not, you will want to look at the pump or ground. I have a three page diagnosis chart for my '96 STS. Let me know if you need it.

Thanks Phillip. I will check it tomorrow and see. I'd like to look at that if it doesn't start. Untill then... Jeff

Archived