CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help...2000 Seville Error Message

I am getting a "service stability system" message on the drivers instrument panel, but there are no codes showing when I run the diagnostics. Any help on what this could be would be appreciated.

Dave

Some dealers are very helpful if you just call and talk to one of their service managers.

If you explain the situation as concisely and quickly as possible, they just might tell you what the problem might be and may even offer some advice. Can't hurt to try. I've done that before.

Hopefully, if you call, you'll get one with some experience.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Ranger and Jim,

Your comments notwithstanding about oddity and lottery odds, it is exactly what is happening. The message comes up on the DIC, yet when I go into diagnostics there is no code/error.

The pieces involved with StabiliTrac are the EBTCM, a steering wheel position sensor, a lateral accelerometer, and a yaw sensor. All of these pieces have associated DTCs and beyond that little bit of information, I can't add anything except location information to assist you.

Please keep us informed on your troubleshooting efforts. This one will be interesting.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It might be, try disconnecting the battery for a minute and allowing the system to do a hard re-boot. Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I just had this it came off and on for a week n a hlaf and JimD told me to check out my ground on it and thats what was wrong with it. I hope that its not going bad on you .

Michael - :)

I had this exact problem with my '03DTS. No codes were set that could be read on the DIC. The problem was an intermittant weak signal from the steering position sensor. Dealer technician was able to trace it when I took the car directly there when the message appeared a second time (had taken it there previously for this problem but they could find no codes -- which were apparently lost when the engine is shut off). To get to the code the tech had to go through several layers of code for the stability system with a large external code reader. Code thrown was for a weak steering position signal.

Replacing the steering position sensor corrected the problem. Under warranty, fortunately. The replacement took about 1-1/4 hours. It's a small part but my guess is it's pretty expensive -- the labor, minus the compter time should porbably be about $100 - $125.

Keep in mind, if you shut the engine off or disconnect the battery the code will be lost until the next time the sensor malfunctions. Good luck!

That being the case, you could put the diagnostics in a "snapshot" mode. When the message appears, you push one button and a snapshot is taken of the system which then lets the tech diagnose it.

I am getting a "service stability system" message on the drivers instrument panel, but there are no codes showing when I run the diagnostics. Any help on what this could be would be appreciated.

Dave

Been there. When under warenty. Took it in. They found nothing. Cleared DIC. Never seen it again. When ever I get messages, I clear em. If they come back, I will deal with them. It seems that dang message thingy picks up on the littlist hickup and throws us into panic mode. Kinda like a itchy winky. (LOL)

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Archived