CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Movin' up a year or two

jhall

Hi Guys,

Looking at selling the '97 Deville. Still runs great, but I noticed the ride is a little rough now and struts / shocks all the way around are about a $1,000 job if I do it myself (dealer wants around $1,500).

In the last few days I have run across a 1999 STS black / black with 65K miles, moonroof, factory sound, etc. Owner is asking about $14K - about $3K over book value. Looks clean, but I have not gotten serious enough to talk with the owner / check for codes.

Other car is a 2000 DTS with Bose radio system. Fairly clean with 85K miles Asking price is between $10K and $12K negotiable.

My wife does not like the STS. It has dark window tint and the owner added rims that are a little too flashy. No biggie here as this can be replaced / removed and I will be driving the car.

Questions - What's the bugs with the 2000 DTS and 1999 STS that I should be aware of? Are head gaskets the same concern in the 1999 series N*?

Any help appreciated.

I would take a newer DTS over an older more expensive STS.

I would prefer the 2000+ engine all thing equal, on the 'buy the newest model you can afford' theory.

I would target the "trade-in" value as a good bargain price.

Current Cadillac ads in the Dallas paper:

http://classifieds.dallasnews.com/cgi-bin/...imageField.y=27

'01 Seville STS, black/gray, 48K, heated seats, sunroof, chrome wheels, HID, CD, loaded $13,000. 469-585-5703

'03 Seville bronze loaded 63K miles very clean non smoker $13,800 OBO Not a dealer! (469) 441-4444

The difference may pay for the flight out (1 way only, drive back?).

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

If you are willing to go to Dallas and buy a car as Bruce suggested, call O'Neal Littlejohn at Park Place Lexus in Grapvine, just outside of the DFW airport. They had a 2001 SLS that I went down and test drove and took to a Cadillac dealer for an inspection. The car was great and passed the inspection with flying colors. The only reason I don't own it now is that I just HAD to have an STS. The car had 94K on it. Here is a link to the ad I saw it on and the pictures. He was letting it go for $8700.

http://tinyurl.com/k6zsm

Charles

Charles

I would go w/the DTS. The STS is a fine car but its interior is noticiably smaller. My next Cad will be the full size. Although since no one makes me ride in the back seat now I guess I shouldnt *smurf*.

The 2000 model will also run on regular fuel better, in general, than a 1999 or older model will. I don't think head gaskets are a particular concern with any model year. Of more importance is prior maintenance and service history.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'd recommend a 2000 or newer STS...

They are faster, more agile I think they look better and are way more fun to drive... The STS will get ever so slightly better mileage then the Deville too...

I paid the equivalent of US $19600 over 18 months ago for my 2002 STS, with a good chunk of original factory warranty remaining. Its loaded with all options (Except NAV).. Mark up depend a lot on the dealership... At that time I paid about $500 over book which is a fair price! Shop around... You can do better

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I just bought a 2002 SLS in Oct. It is a beautiful car with all the options but I miss the Deville size. I like the ride & MPG of the DHS but absolutely love the SLS interior (same as the DTS). I have started looking for an '03 DTS and if the right deal comes along I just may go back. My vote is for the DTS.

I bought a 2003 STS in Oct. It's awesome. I had a 93 Deville and an 85 Deville. I sort of miss all the room, but that's not why I bought the STS. Since I rarely have anyone in the back seat (at the same time the car is moving :) ), this doesn't make a difference. On top of that, the STS is tons quieter.

I love the way it rides and the power and the maneuverability, etc. If I had to make the choice again between a DTS and STS, I'd take the STS in a heartbeat.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Hi Guys,

Looking at selling the '97 Deville. Still runs great, but I noticed the ride is a little rough now and struts / shocks all the way around are about a $1,000 job if I do it myself (dealer wants around $1,500).

In the last few days I have run across a 1999 STS black / black with 65K miles, moonroof, factory sound, etc. Owner is asking about $14K - about $3K over book value. Looks clean, but I have not gotten serious enough to talk with the owner / check for codes.

Other car is a 2000 DTS with Bose radio system. Fairly clean with 85K miles Asking price is between $10K and $12K negotiable.

My wife does not like the STS. It has dark window tint and the owner added rims that are a little too flashy. No biggie here as this can be replaced / removed and I will be driving the car.

Questions - What's the bugs with the 2000 DTS and 1999 STS that I should be aware of? Are head gaskets the same concern in the 1999 series N*?

Any help appreciated.h

Go for the STS...

I had a '99 STS, Best HANDLING and RIDE I have ever

experienced.

Why do you think the Deville is so cheap? Why is the STS is

3K over book! THE STS is THAT MUCH BETTER!

If the DTS has Stabiltrac, then maybe if you need the interior room.

My '97 Deville is, excuse me, a piece of dung to drive compared

to my '99 STS. The STS is FAST!! and Nimble...The Deville is no

race car, the STS can Be! Last night I had my son and grandson

in the car and my son and I were reminiscing about how much

we both miss the STS. The Deville prompty bottomed out coming

off a bridge too fast, and we both looked at each other and said

THE STS NEVER DID THAT!

The STS handles like it is on rails in ALL WEATHER conditions. The

car is as solid as a rock. The Deville, on the other hand, drives like

a nice big Caddilac, (I missed the parking space again...), or Buick or

Chevy for that matter...

Sure this is my opinion, but I'm telling it like it is. The Deville seats

in my '97 have virtually NO BOLSTERING. When you wheel around a

corner and the passengers ALL reach for grab straps, you know your

in a Deville, NOT AN STS! The Deville uses a PARK BENCH for a Front Seat.

Go test drive both like you stole 'em. I'll bet the STS will really impress you!

Thanks for letting me vent...

Good Luck and remember...

ONLY BUY SOMETHING WITH STABILITRAC or and STS, Whichever comes first!

jim

STS STS STS STS STS STS STS!

Wow, next time Jim, don't hold back, Come-on tell us how you really feel! :lol:

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I'd recommend a 2000 or newer STS...

They are faster, more agile I think they look better and are way more fun to drive... The STS will get ever so slightly better mileage then the Deville too...

I paid the equivalent of US $19600 over 18 months ago for my 2002 STS, with a good chunk of original factory warranty remaining. Its loaded with all options (Except NAV).. Mark up depend a lot on the dealership... At that time I paid about $500 over book which is a fair price! Shop around... You can do better

Bravo! WAY MORE FUN TO DRIVE.. that's right... BUY STS..

Wow, next time Jim, don't hold back, Come-on tell us how you really feel! :lol:

Sorry Man, But I am 'pshyc'd'! For every person I can convince to buy their next wheels with stabilitrac, or some sort of stability control, that's one more person, expecially the young and restless, (crazy kids?!!?), my kids!!, who's life may last a little longer due to the technology saving them. Think about it... I have read, the number of single car FATAL accidents with stabilty control drops off something in the order of 28%! ... think about your kids or parents driving away from what would have been a fatal accident, if not for the safety equipment and stability control...of course for every live you save, that same person could kill you in his next accident... lol... no matter... The STS is a pleasure to drive... If you drive it every day for a week, you won't want to drive anything else!

You see, I'm stuck driving a 2003 Solara right now,,, IT SUCKS..

No antilock brakes for a 2003... I find that incredulous!

Two deer in the headlights this morning... Almost got 'em both because the

solara goes heavy left on every panic stop! I went left, over the center line,

then controlled the return to my lane with tires howling but steerable...

It is hard to modulate the brake pedal pressure, never mind pumping.

Dry surface, almost lock them up, then modulate the pedal pressure.

With the STS I would have probably GASSED IT when I saw the deer! lol

Can some of you remember panic stops without anti-lock brakes...??

In the old days, you just had to get used the car in a hard stop, and

anticitpate... My Camaro was true, my dads '70 LTD would come around on

you fast, if you let it! My Suburban was a PANIC!

Be safe out there, and By Stabilitrac if you want to live longer! !LOL

jim

Archived