CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Member Here

mrsee

Greetings fellow Cadill-lacakers if you will, I am excited to have found this fourm today. I have previously owned the following in this order,

1978 Seville Copper Canyon :)

1984 Fleetwood De elegance Midnight Blue 4.1 B)

1965 Sedan deville Cottillion white :D

1991 Fleetwood de elegance 4.9 :(

2001 DTS :)

Wow I wish I had found this fourm sooner. I know that I will be able to really benifit from this fourm in many ways. Currently I drive a 2001 DTS I have owned since 2004 with 30.000 certified miles. This car is still under full factory warranty until April of 2007. It now has 63.000 miles I have yet to get it in for the 60.000 mile service. My question is am I hurting this DTS by delaying this service interval a bit? This engine which has been in for service several times, because of a high engine idle. At varions times after driving on the freeway or just out and about the city, I can feel the car pulling while braking when I stop I shift to netural and it reaches 1 1/2 and some times 2 rpm at idle. I had it in for service at least 4 times, the dealer cannot find anything out of order. Outside of other minor things and using a little oil this sporty car is great. It's the best Cadillac I have ever owned, I am expecting at least 200.000 or miles out of this caddy. Any helpful information will be appreciated.

Thanks

MR.SEE

Welcome to the Caddyinfo.com Discussion Forum. Looks like you have a great Cadillac history.

I am not sure what is on the list for the 2001 DTS at 60K miles. You might check your owner's manual to be sure, or online at mygmlink.com you can review planned maintenance there. I am a bit surprised any service is due then. I would not be surprised if your Dealer OFFERS service at 30K and 60K miles, but it is not necessary.

You might have a sticky throttle cable. My 96 STS throttle cable was replaced along the way due to a rpm. Also possible that the car needs an idle learn procedure, or has a dirty throttle body which is sticking open a bit. I would guess the throttle cable is binding though.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce,

I haven't experienced throttle cable sticking, but I'm wondering: can you "feel" it through the pedal?

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Oh yeah, Welcome Mr.See!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

In my case the problem was the car was surging forward against the brake, or in my case idling near redline in neutral when I rolled in to the service bay and shut it down with the Service Writer watching.

Bruce

Clean your throttle body and throttle body throat, pay particular attention to the REAR of the throttle plate and where the plate contacts the throat. Use GM upper engine cleaner and a tooth brush or nylon detail brush.

Also if your year has an IAC (Idle Air Control) pull it out and clean it also.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Welcome to the Caddyinfo.com Discussion Forum. Looks like you have a great Cadillac history.

I am not sure what is on the list for the 2001 DTS at 60K miles. You might check your owner's manual to be sure, or online at mygmlink.com you can review planned maintenance there. I am a bit surprised any service is due then. I would not be surprised if your Dealer OFFERS service at 30K and 60K miles, but it is not necessary.

You might have a sticky throttle cable. My 96 STS throttle cable was replaced along the way due to a rpm. Also possible that the car needs an idle learn procedure, or has a dirty throttle body which is sticking open a bit. I would guess the throttle cable is binding though.

Thanks Bruce and the crew for the Welcome, I will go back to the dealer and ask them to clean the throttle body again and check the cable to see if it is binding. As far as service I have not noticed anything weird or any noises

FYI. I went to mygmlink.com and tried to register my car I entered my VIN number and a 2006 DTS information came up. I will try to get my 2001 car registered correctly again.

Thanks for you help.. Sir

MR SEE

I LIKE mygmlink.com. Also, check in with the ONSTAR monthly emails that relay your vehicle diagnostics for the 06. Basically, your car calls in to the factory each month when it has idle time and reports any trouble codes or problems. The factory then emails you to let you know how the car is. I think this is a fun and useful service, and it is free.

Bruce

I LIKE mygmlink.com. Also, check in with the ONSTAR monthly emails that relay your vehicle diagnostics for the 06. Basically, your car calls in to the factory each month when it has idle time and reports any trouble codes or problems. The factory then emails you to let you know how the car is. I think this is a fun and useful service, and it is free.

Bruce I do not own a 2006 DTS.

I tried to register my 2001 DTS and my vin number or for some other reason posted a 2006 DTS instead of my 2001 DTS.

So just to be clear I would like any service information on my 2001 DTS.

I did e mail the administrator of mygmlink.com to get this straight.

Thanks for your constant help...

MR SEE :)

Archived