CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front end thump 94 Seville

king3244

Okay I have now developed the dreaded front end thumping sound when going over bumps. I have read through the archives and searched the topic...........BUT..........I don't see a definitive answer to this problem.

It appears to be either:

1) stabilizer links at $135.00 per side

2) stailizer bar bushings $20.00 per bushing

3) strut rod? bushings $20.00 per bushing (the question mark is because I am not totally sure what this refers to) Is it the rod that runs from the control arm to the front of the frame at an angle?

My friend just had the stailizer links replaced and still has the noise.........costly error........plus he can't do the work himself so labour on top of parts price.

I find it hard to believe that the stabilizer links would make that heavy of a noise and I have my doubts about it being the stabilizer bar bushings so I am leaning towards the control arm rod bushing.

Any comments as to what really solved this problem.

Thanks for any replys

You might as well start with the cheapest possibility first.

How is the front engine mount? You can check it by opening the hood and with your foot firmly on the brake, shift into drive then reverse and see if the engine hopes up and down. You should check the engine mount to make sure you’re not being misled to believe it’s a suspension problem. Also, just a word of advice; make sure the tow torque struts are in good shape.

Hi king,

Got your message but hadn't had time to reply. Good of you to post your problem here. You'll get a lot of helpful suggestions from others who have had the same problem. If you only get the thumping sound while going over bumps then I would think it's your stabilizer bar bushings. I had mine done not too long ago to cure the same problem. Now if you're also getting the same thumping sound while accelerating/ decelerating and or while encountering a dip in the road (the kind that gives you butterflies) then that could be pointing to worn motor mount(s). The upper motor mounts are known to wear and allow excessive movement. Fortunately they are fairly inexpensive and places like Napa stock them regularly. Does any of this sound like your problem?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

It's nice to believe it's not the struts, but let's face it: if you're at about that 100K mile mark your struts are likely on their way to meet their maker. What is your mileage? At or over 100K?

IF SO: Remove the rubber cap from the strut and place the palm of your hand firmly on the strut shaft; have someone "bounce" the front of the car up and down. If you "feel" that "thump" through your hand, it's likely strut time.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

If the noise sounds like plastic on metal, it is most likely caused by the plastic splash shield hitting the sway bar when you go over bumps. The stabilizer bar bushings (insulators) would be the top items in my list of replacements.

Lift the front end, grab a link and try to move it up and down. Even a 1/16'' play will cause loud clunk or thump. The link itself may be good but the connection may be loose.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks for the quick replies fellas.

My problem is with those sharp bumps, pavement cracks, pot hole type bumps.

I have already ruled out the motor mounts and stuts. I have checked the links in both a loaded and unloaded condition and see or feel no play.

I think that I will go with the stabilizer bar bushings first as they are, as someone pointed out cheap and they should be an easy fix as well.

Regis, I gather that your groaning sound problem was from those control arm/rod bushings when you were turning corners and loading the front end laterally?

It is going to take me a week or so to get after this but I will keep you posted.

Thanks again, King

Have you put the STS up on a lift or on ramps and looked under it to be sure what's what? I remember my rear anti-sway bar at one point was no longer connected at all points intended, and was rattling around a bit.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Regis, I gather that your groaning sound problem was from those control arm/rod bushings when you were turning corners and loading the front end laterally?

The groaning was caused by excessive play between the strut rod (also known as strut bar and control arm rod) end and the 2 bushings that sleeve over it. The rod end was literally grooved and worn down from constant contact with the frame because the bushings were worn. Even with new bushings I still got the groaning sound because the worn rod diameter was too small and therefore moving around under the bushings. Here's a a photo link: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzervdxw/id1.html

In the first pic you can clearly see (after I removed the rust) how grooved out the strut bar got. The end is supposed to be all the same diameter. I know it doesn't appear to be too bad but it was definitely more than enough to cause the awful groaning on left turns. Originally I had installed a used control arm that the strut rod was in better condition but it too was worn just enough to cause the groaning. Meanwhile I fixed the original strut rod by building up the diameter with JB Weld and then grinding it down to specs (bottom two photos). It's been a couple months now and still no groaning.

As far as your problem goes, it seems very likely that new stabilizer bar bushings will be the cure. Keep us posted.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived