CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 Escalade Transmision check engine light

beegolden

99 Escalade with 94,000 miles, I was on a trip pulling a trailer(light) about 400 miles into this trip the check engine light came on. Now at time it jerks when shifting between 1st and 2nd, but it does not do this all the time. Took to a parts house and the checked the check engine light and said it was from the transmision. Since it is a light could it just be a sensor?

Thank you

Did they tell you the trouble code that the transmission is sending? That would tell you what the transmission thinks is wrong.

Sounds like the shift solenoids, but it might be a speed sensor issue also.

After a long tow though I would replace the transmission fluid. Don't have it "flushed" as that can introduce problems, just drain and refill.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hello Golden ,

Where are you taking the car ? I'm orig from Jeffersonville a few cornfields over from you.....lol I see many people here in Indiana and around southern Ohio on here. Do you use a dealer in the area ?

Michael-

If the 1-2 shift is hard, I would suspect it is the input speed sensor in the transmission. I had that fail on my 96 STS and it turned on the service engine soon light. When the code is active the harsh shift occurs. Not sure this all applies to the Escalde, though.

Charles

Charles

I try to stay away from the dealer as much as possible, most work I do myself with this exception, I stay away from transmisions. If I can't switch out a sensor on this one I will take it to Walker transmision in .Xenia

Follow up with code:

Code is P1870

What I can find is this shoud be a Valve Body, I can find this at GM Parts for $270.xx when the dealer wants $459.xx.

It says in a tech bulliten it takes .8 hr to replace, never worked on trans. b/4 is this difficult to replace?

The problem did not occur this last week but the Check engine light did not go off and the code is still present, will it damage anything if it is driven this way?

Thank you

Archived