CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Update/new woes with 1994 STS

Hello everyone,

Well, after spending many hours an over $1500 on parts and labor at three different shops (including the dealership), I discovered that a $4.50 ground strap from the water pump housing to the radiator support solved my MAP sensor problems.

Now, I have a new problem (especially now that I am leaving for my move to Australia tomorrow at 3:00 pm!)

I was driving this evening, felt a slight surge and clank, and then the car would not shift out of 2nd. It's been that way ever since. Does it sound like a new transmission is needed or could this be something more simple?

Just wondering what red tape I'm leaving my brother with while I'm gone since I have him selling the car for me...

Thanks in advance...

Eric

Well, the code is a shift solenoid problem. From what I've read it's not a major problem and a fairly easy repair.

P029 (E029) .............. Transaxle Shift 'B' solenoid problem (1st, 3rd, 4th gear)

Shift solenoids are under the bottom pan. Fairly easy but messy job. Lots of info in the archives. Dealer will charge about $250-$350 when you finally get them to just change the solenoids. Parts are around $50. Find a reputable tranny shop that knows how to work on caddy transmissions and you will probably do better on price. I got lucky and found one that only charged $70 labor.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I am down in Australia now, and am trying to coordinate the repairs over e-mail to my father (who is not a car person and who has no interest in becoming one).

I had him carefully (the car won't shift out of 2nd) drive the car to what I thought was a reputable shop; they told him that there were to many electronic interfaces and that it would be a while before they could get an estimate. They finally called my father back 2 days later saying they want to rebuild the tranny for $2500.

I told him no way and that I just want an estimate for replacement of the A and B solenoids, gasket replacement, and adding fluid (but NO flushing). Apparently they haven't gotten back to him yet.

I guess if they refuse to give an estimate for the solenoids that the car will just have to sit until I get back in December, then try to sell the car then. It seems that there aren't any shops in the Northern Colorado area that know much about fixing Caddy's (including the dealers). I've had to fix all of my problems myself (even after paying $$$ for unnecessary repairs and diagnostics).

Is it possible that a PO29 code could require a tranny rebuild?

Thanks again for your help,

Eric

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I am down in Australia now, and am trying to coordinate the repairs over e-mail to my father (who is not a car person and who has no interest in becoming one).

I had him carefully (the car won't shift out of 2nd) drive the car to what I thought was a reputable shop; they told him that there were to many electronic interfaces and that it would be a while before they could get an estimate. They finally called my father back 2 days later saying they want to rebuild the tranny for $2500.

I told him no way and that I just want an estimate for replacement of the A and B solenoids, gasket replacement, and adding fluid (but NO flushing). Apparently they haven't gotten back to him yet.

I guess if they refuse to give an estimate for the solenoids that the car will just have to sit until I get back in December, then try to sell the car then. It seems that there aren't any shops in the Northern Colorado area that know much about fixing Caddy's (including the dealers). I've had to fix all of my problems myself (even after paying $$$ for unnecessary repairs and diagnostics).

Is it possible that a PO29 code could require a tranny rebuild?

Thanks again for your help,

Eric

I got the same song and dance from the dealers before I found a good reputable tranny shop to do just what I wanted them to do. One dealer wanted $800.00 just to look at my tranny. Unless there are other codes associated with the tranny it just needs shift solenoids. It is a common problem, the new solenoid kit comes with updated parts. I had P029 for a while and eventually P094, which is the other solenoid code, came up. I drove mine 50 miles in second to the tranny shop. It just causes the rpm's to be higher, as long as you do not drive about 80 mph it will be o.k.. The solenoid problem is the least expensive problem you can have with the transmission. A transmission shop that works on Cadillacs knows that the solenoids are a common problem and should fix just that. Tell the mechanic that you have pulled the diagnostic codes and no other code other than the P029 solenoid code comes up for your 4t80e transmission. Make them aware that you know what you are talking about and they will finally give you a quote for just the solenoids. While they are in there have them check the filters or screens mine were fine so they just cleaned them and put them back. There is a lot of info on this in the archives, read up because knowledge is power.

Good Luck.

It doesn't sound like the repair shop is being honest. You should say thanks, but no thanks, and get the car out of there. First, I would ask them if they checked for codes and what codes they found. Since you already know what the code is you can test them. If they give you a B.S. story you should call their bluff.

Shift solenoids can be replaced for about $200, give or take. Again, it’s a fairly easy job.

If they know it is a solenoid problem, they are crooks. If they cannot figure out that is the problem, they are as@@#$%s. Get the car out of their shop ASAP.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. I thought that was the case. Pretty suprising how hard it is to get an honest synopsis from a shop! I'll relay the info to my father and will have him look into a different shop.

I'll let you know what I find out....

Thanks again,

Eric

If they know it is a solenoid problem, they are crooks. If they cannot figure out that is the problem, they are as@@#$%s. Get the car out of their shop ASAP.

Archived