CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

More Hack/Virus info

Marika pointed out this article to me (thanks!):

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix..._site_serv.html

And we use that same Invision host software here at Caddyinfo Forums, and we had those same types of script attacks the last round, also coming from a similar place.

So PLEASE run a current antivirus scan on your computer, keep your browser up to date, your operating system patched, and be careful out there.

If something got off the scripts that the site was showing and onto your computer you'll want to get it off.

We seem to be up to speed on the forum software here, no more problems lately. But please be careful out there.

There is a free online scanner at Panda Software here: http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Internet Explorer security problems is why I use Firefox. It seems every week Microsoft discovers another security flaw.

Internet Explorer security problems is why I use Firefox. It seems every week Microsoft discovers another security flaw.

Unfortunately, it's not Microsoft that discovers most of the security flaws. It's the hackers and frankly all I can say is, thank God for them. With all the hell they've raised, they have made the Internet a safer place for everyone. And yes, I use Firefox too.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Yes, use Firefox, great program! And AVG Free is an awesome free antivirus program. It doesn't hog system resorces like Norton's and McAffee do, and finds infections the others don't even know exist. I don't work for them or anything, I have just used AVG for the past 4 years, and we use it at work - we love it. They also have a pay version, they only difference with the version you pay for is you get tech support via an 1-800 number.

Just my 2 cents (I work on computers for a living). ;)

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Yes, use Firefox, great program! And AVG Free is an awesome free antivirus program. It doesn't hog system resorces like Norton's and McAffee do, and finds infections the others don't even know exist. I don't work for them or anything, I have just used AVG for the past 4 years, and we use it at work - we love it. They also have a pay version, they only difference with the version you pay for is you get tech support via an 1-800 number.

-dave B)

I use Firefox, Thunderbird, Norton AV, Spy-Bot, Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware, Crap Cleaner and Rootkit Revealer.

I think I've got it covered by about 99.9%.... :lol::lol::blink:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

-dave B)

I also use AVG and it's seems like an excellent anti-virus program. I don't use Norton because, from what I have read, hackers target Norton and it's also overpriced. There are less expensive and, in the case of AVG, free anti-virus software that will do just as good a job or better for a lot less.

I also use Webroot Spysweeper, and Spybot and a couple of lesser-known anti-spyware programs. Even trial versions that don't expire but will allow scanning only (however, will not remove spyware until purchased) are good if you know how to manually remove spyware by accessing the registry and using Windows Explorer to find spyware locations.

-dave B)

OK guys, I am not very computer savvy as I have admitted to before but I like the idea of "better" & especially "free". My Norton subscription expires in Sept. Someone give me some more info on this.

OK guys, I am not very computer savvy as I have admitted to before but I like the idea of "better" & especially "free".

This literally made me LOL.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Most any antivirus, in my opinion, is better than nortons. When Peter was at the helm and before Symantec butchered it, Nortons was one of the best. AVG is ok and it appears that some here like it. Not a favorite of mine but then again we don't all drive the same car either. I like McAfee Corporate coupled with the latest Outpost firewall that includes the latest in spyware detection. It by far out performs Spybot and Giant (which I also use). But remember that even the latest and greatest are worthless if the updates aren't kept up regularly.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

My computer crap:

For all that I run or rebuild; the good-free stuff Zonealarm, Adaware, Spybot and all the Windows updates. I get computers and rebuild them to sell cheap for charity or give away as needed. Note that many of these $5-50 complete systems are Win 2000 Personal (also known as M.E.) - but everything works great for first-timers and online - just not high power gamers...

For my two home systems; her laptop and my desktop; The above stuff, plus AVG Pro Antivirus and NetWork Magic, XP Pro and IE 6.0 browser.

For my desktop; Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro (w/o its antivirus). I use its Ghost application to "Clone" my entire hard drive (about every 3-months) and then unplug the cloned drive - before it restarts in Windows. Its dead until needed in case of the inevitable, random, Hard Drive failure or whatever the sofware might possibly miss, (significant documents etc are burned on CD). This method absolutely ensures total recovery in a few minutes. Yes, Its crude - but tested, cheap - but effective. Although it works great - I have not had to use it for several years anyway.

All IMHO

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

My computer crap:

For my desktop; Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro (w/o its antivirus). I use its Ghost application to "Clone" my entire hard drive (about every 3-months) and then unplug the cloned drive - before it restarts in Windows. Its dead until needed in case of the inevitable, random, Hard Drive failure or whatever the sofware might possibly miss, (significant documents etc are burned on CD). This method absolutely ensures total recovery in a few minutes. Yes, Its crude - but tested, cheap - but effective. Although it works great - I have not had to use it for several years anyway.

All IMHO

It's a good idea to use an external USB hard drive. They're relatively inexpensive. About $150 will buy 320 Gigs. It's been suggested to have separate computers for business/personal computing and browsing the internet so personal files are not exposed to possible hacking. But having an external hard drive is a good option. I believe Western Digital is probably one of the more reliable brands. If something catastrophic should happen you have it as a backup. You can also save important documents on an external. Unplug it so access to the Internet and hackers are impossible.

My computer crap:

All IMHO

It's a good idea to use an external USB hard drive. They're relatively inexpensive. About $150 will buy 320 Gigs. It's been suggested to have separate computers for business/personal computing and browsing the internet so personal files are not exposed to possible hacking. But having an external hard drive is a good option. I believe Western Digital is probably one of the more reliable brands. If something catastrophic should happen you have it as a backup. You can also save important documents on an external. Unplug it so access to the Internet and hackers are impossible.

ah, now if only I could successfully beat this basic computer knowledge into my customer's heads! *smacks head* It seems that 95% of my customer think once something is on their computer it's indestructible and will be there forever! Of course these are the same folks who think it's OK to let their kids use their business computer to let their kids download music with Limewire (illegally), and complain when they have to leave their computer for a couple days when it's gotten eaten with viruses.

Sorry guys, random work vent.

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Archived