CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'92 Eldo Fuel Pump

rgnoon

So last month the battery in the Eldo crapped itself, and as it's a 6 month old battery our first thought was some sort of parasitic drain. Anyhow, due to my empty wallet and bank account, and a full schedule the car sat in the garage for the last month until I was able to get my hands dirty. So after jumping the car, and running for a while, and good voltage readouts coming from the alternator, the car wouldn't start back up (even after having run for significant periods of time).

So...maybe a defective battery we thought. Replaced it with a new Delco today and it shot the solenoid and spun the starter beautifully....but no ignition. Upon further inspection it was evident that fuel wasn't getting up front (little pressure and eventually no fuel at all from the schrader valve on the rail, didn't happen to have a fuel pressure gauge handy at the moment..oh well). Listened closely trying to hear the fuel pump build pressure in the lines before turning the ignition, but nothing. Fuel pump fuse and relays are fine, and are getting juice. So we figure on a dead fuel pump.

My question is how the two issues (electrical and fuel) relate to each other...i.e. Cause/Effect. We have a few theories of our own, but I am interested in hearing what others think. BTW, there still seems to be a draw (300 mA) on the battery when everything is off, key is out of ignition etc - even with the fuel pump fuse removed.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryan

My question is how the two issues (electrical and fuel) relate to each other...i.e. Cause/Effect. We have a few theories of our own, but I am interested in hearing what others think. BTW, there still seems to be a draw (300 mA) on the battery when everything is off, key is out of ignition etc - even with the fuel pump fuse removed.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryan

I cannot speak to the fuel issue on your model / year, but the 300 mA draw is about 4 times normal if it continues for more than 10 minutes. Keep pulling fuses until you zero in on the system that is pulling that current.

Most modern car systems will pull 75 mA MAX after 10 minutes.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

First best guess would be a bad diode in the alternator.

Archived