CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC Question

stsjoe

Finally putting a new clutch on this weekend, question is I've been adding a can of freon every 4-5 months now so I know I have a leak, after I put the clutch on I'm sure it will take two can of freon so should I add oil too? (A/C has been bypassed with a shorter belt for about 8 months)

Thanks in advance!!

Joe

Examine the compressor - is the case all greasy/oily? or is the clutch face area all oily/greasy? If the case is all oily/greasy, I wouldn't bother replacing the clutch as the case seals in compressor are shot. If the clutch face is all greasy, it probably needs a shaft seal. It takes a couple of special tools but once you have the clutch off, you're halfway done with a shaft seal replacement. In addition to the clutch plate remover/installer which you probably have, you'll need a shaft protector and a seal installer. The double lip seal kit is available from any GM dealer for about $25.

Once the leak is fixed, you will need to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump to remove all air and moisture from the system prior to charging.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE, from what I can see its just dirty no oil, but the bearing in the clutch is shot (it was making so much noise you had to turn the car off at the drive thru to order!) with 220k on the clock I'm trying to keep from dumping alot of cash. I'll post what I find this weekend.

Thanks for the response

Joe

12 oz of refrigerant loss in 4 months is a sizeable leak. I would have the system checked and repair the source of the leak.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived