CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Driving Style Has Big Impact On Gas Mileage

JasonA

A newspaper in Maine put two people in the exact same car (a Chevy Malibu) on the exact same driving loop. One of the drivers is the director of Maine's Office and Energy Independence and Security. The other is the owner of TNT Drag Racing in Brunswick, ME.

The drag racer returned 18.5 mpg. The light-footed state employee returned 33 mpg. That's almost a delta of 100%. That's the difference between a Ford Explorer and a Toyota Corolla. That's HUGE.

This example obviously includes driving styles at both extremes of the scale. But it does demonstrate that perhaps the most influential factor of how much gas we use on a regular basis may not be WHAT we drive, but rather HOW we drive it.

Source: http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/art...on_gas_mileage/

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Interesting article. I laughed at this:

For footwear, Nagusky had a fleece bedroom slipper on her right foot to help her take on a Zen-like mindset while she slowly eased the car to highway speed.

"I'm feeling the pedal," she said. "I am one with the pedal."

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Interesting article. I laughed at this:

For footwear, Nagusky had a fleece bedroom slipper on her right foot to help her take on a Zen-like mindset while she slowly eased the car to highway speed.

"I'm feeling the pedal," she said. "I am one with the pedal."

Yes, that was worth a chuckle or two. I wonder how often she visits her psychic homeopathic healer? :D

That aside, there's no question that driving habits affect mileage. This, of course, was an extreme example as both drivers were given targets at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Still, you can probably save a Starbucks per fillup driving sensibly.

Still further, maybe Ms. Nagusky was simply being a good sport?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

On any given tank, the difference between my wife's foot and mine is about 20%. But we're not trying either.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Being more fuel economy counscious due to paying $60 to fill up my tank, this morning I drove keeping around 60 mph (90 miles trip) and the got 30.8 mpg on the trip computer. My speedometer is off due the larger diameter 17 in tires. If I factor this in, my actual gas mileage for the trip this morning was 31.5 mpg. Not bad for an old Caddy with 215k miles on the odometer.

IPB Image

I JUST MADE A 360 MILE TRIP HOME FROM IDAHO TODAY. BACK ROADS, NO FREEWAYS, 1 MOUNTAIN PASS AND I GOT 26.5 PER GALLON. DOING MOSTLY 70 MPH WITH A HALF DOZEN OR SO 100 MPH PASSES OF GRANDMAS DRIVING CAMPERS. HOW `BOUT THAT NORTHSTAR?

I get alot better gas mileage in a more powerfull car. My SLS has more useable power at idle than my mom's Saturn does at wide open throttle. I took her car on 200 mile trip a few weeks ago thinking I would save myself some cash on gas. Nope. I average 24-26 MPG on the highway with some spirited passing here and there. By my math (no handy computer in there) I got about 25 round trip. You have stick your way down to third to pass a semi and boot it. 38 MPG? Perhaps in a world where you aren't worried about being crushed in your tiny plastic car or just want to get where your going because the poorly padded seat is killing your back. Economy in the city is much better in the Saturn, but yeah it is all about how you drive it. Caddys are unexpectedly efficient on the open road though, and as comfortable as can be. No one can deny that.

Caddys are unexpectedly efficient on the open road though, and as comfortable as can be. No one can deny that.

Precisely!

Late model Sevilles have a Cd of just 0.30. That makes it real slippery (relatively speaking) at highway speeds.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Jason,

Thank-you for your post related to this. I have realized I drive like a fool and I dont have anywhere to be in a hurry. My MPG is way up and Im happy about that. Like my best friend always has said speeding less than 5 over is ok but anymore is really foolish and wasteful. I feel thats true after reading threads of this nature ... I was lucky to get 18-21 mixed and now Im getting 23-25 mixed driving. :) Its getting to be more like the numbers my 96 Deville use to give me ! I think its more the driver:P hehe

Thank-you,

Michael-

Archived