CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The Right Stuff

MAC

I just spent $17 on Permatex's The Right Stuff gasket maker. It makes reliable gaskets in 1 minute. Parts should be assembled within 5 minutes. Equipment can be returned to use "immediately." It looks like I'll have to go for it as this Stuff sets very quickly. I'll removed all bolts, dropped pan as far as possible, clean surfaces with brake cleaner, spread a 1/8 to 1/4 bead and assemble. I'll also clean the bolts and use thread locker. The Right Stuff will fill in any imperfections. There's a gas station fairly close to me that advertises lift rental. I'll definitely look to rent a lift.

On the N*, the oil sump is usually not the culprit.

It is the lower case half that is above the oil sump.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to remove the lower case half while the vehicle is in the car.

Britt

Britt

I actually saw it leaking from the oil pan. It's dripping and blowing down towards the rear. It's not something that can be ignored like to occasional leaking from the case-half seal. Actually, believe it or not, I looked up at the case seal and I don't think it's leaking. Maybe I just didn't see it as it's hard to believe I have a solid case seal, especially for a 12-year-old car prone to case leaks.

I hope that you are correct and this solves you leak problem.

Take care with the sealer. Don't put too much on so a bunch of it squeezes out into the oil sump. I have seen cases where excessive sealer managed to get by the filter (on a cold start, I guess) and find it's way into a crank throw. That, in turn, starved a rod bearing for oil, which resulted in spinning the affected rod bearing.

Be sure to clean all the oil from both sides of the sealing area before using the sealer. I would buy a new oil sump seal & install it at this time, if I were you.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Archived