CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

wut up im new here

kurb

hows it going everyone my name is brad but everyone calls me kurb, im 19 almost 20, i live in michigan and i own a 97 sts which ive had for about 8 months now, ill post some pictures when my car is out of the shop (stereo shop)

i do have a quick question though, im wondering what the widest tire size i can put on the stock 97 sts 16 inch rims is, ive searched all over and cant find out what im looking for i just know 225 60 is stock size, how much wider than that can i go safely on those stock rims? i want the same diameter just more width for a better look. thanks

Welcome. The 97 STS is a fun car; similar to the 96 STS I had prior to my CTS's.

The stock wheels are 16"x7", or 7" = 177.8 mm wide. So the 225mm tires already are somewhat wider than the wheels. http://www.1010tires.com/ has a tire width comparison tool that does the math for you.

I compared a 225/60-16, a 235/55-16, and a 245/50-16 tire.

This resulted in an overall diameter of 26.6 inches (stock), 26.2 inches (235/55) and 25.6 inches (245/50). Interestingly, the site suggested that 7" wheels are the minimum width that you would want to use with 245 mm tires, so that may be your answer on what is the widest you can fit to the wheel.

I am not sure what the widest tire I have heard reported as a good fit on the Seville. Often people are moving up to the 17" wheels or higher.

Cardio Doc carries a lot of caddy take-off wheels on ebay; email him you got his info on Caddyinfo and maybe he can set you up with a deal.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

yeah my sts is pretty much identical to the one in the caddy info site logo, black with those rims. im going to check out that site tho thanks for the info. yeah i want bigger rims but i want 20s i already picked out the ones i want verde black ice 20s but on ebay they are going for 1200 for the set and i dont have that cash now so im just going with some tires. what kind of tires would you recommend for performance driving?

Which tires is a favorite debate topic, but I think the Michelin Pilots are great if you have the cash.

If, like me, you probably are going to burn the rubber off anyway through corners and leaving it on the pavement, less expensive tires are preferrable.

Another thing to consider is sometimes you can get wheel/tire combo's on ebay for less than new tires, then resell the wheels.

Bruce

Hey kurb welcomer aboard, got a 97 ElDog still owning it quite a fine ride, it just pulled rank cause I sold the vette, yep my little red 70 vette is gone, but my caddy is paid fer, I wuz lokkin at er and thinking I might put a fin on it like ol'school, lil bullet lamp, huh what you think?

Julio

OH -- Mark 99 STS is running some 255/50-16's on his 99 STS, Michelin Pilot XGTZ4'S, (when he is not running slicks). They will be a bit taller than stock, but that may help the look even if it means the speedo is off a bit.

Mhenchley is using some 245/45/18's on his 97 Deville, so apparently the 245's don't rub either.

Bruce

Kurb,

Welcome. B) I also live in Michigan and have a 97 STS. These guys on this forum are the best. There is nothing that can't be answered.

Woody

Welcome aboard, I think that you will find this site enjoyable. I have used 255/50-16 on my 95 Seville without any problem. I use BF Goodrich Traction TA on my car with good results. I have bought them at Sears for $110 a tire. They are a V rated tire.

im on a budget i was looking at some falken tires here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/255-50-ZR-1...069167217QQrdZ1

i know they arent rated high or anything but i dont plan on going extremely fast, ill only need them to last me this summer because ill be getting rims afterwards, and i cant see any tire as being worse than what im rolling with now. these are pretty cheap i can get the whole set for 370 shipped to me what do you guys think about this in my situation

Those Falken tires were rated pretty well by Consumer Reports a few years back, but a lot of people on the CR tire forums report problems with air leaks and imbalancing. Many have had tires replaced due to defects.

If your current tires are relatively new, or at least have good tread, and you plan to get new rims/tires later, I don't see the value added in buying a set of tires in the interim. Save your cash for a quality tire (another happy Michelin Pilot user here) when the time comes later this year.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I live in Michigan, and I have a 1997 STS also. I have 255-55-16 Kumho tires on it. They are the same diameter as stock, so the speedo is accurate... and they only rub in reverse when near full lock. The car looks awesome with these tires on it, and they weren't a lot of money. They are a tiny bit noisy on the E-way, but your stereo should fix that problem! They are awesome in the rain and suprisingly not bad in the snow. I got them at Discount Tire, after getting a price from The Tire Rack for them to price match. If you go on "craigslist" and search "1997 STS" my car should come up and there are a coupe of pictures with the tires on it.

Archived